Converter Stall Speed

Old 04-11-2009, 09:23 AM
markthespark
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Converter Stall Speed

What is the correct way to check your converter stall speed? I have an 8" converter that is rated as a 5500 stall, but want to know what it stalls at in my combination.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:51 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Converter Stall Speed

Originally Posted by markthespark
What is the correct way to check your converter stall speed? I have an 8" converter that is rated as a 5500 stall, but want to know what it stalls at in my combination.
Take your chips out. Put your car SECURELY on jack stands. Apply your transbreak and put it to WOT. Your car will stall to its maxium stall.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:34 PM
markthespark
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Stall

I never new you could do it that way. Sounds scary. I always woundered how to do it, know I know, Thanks
Old 04-13-2009, 04:07 PM
rob41willys
SENIOR BUILDER

I made a harness that I can connect to the transbrake button that apply's the brake without worrying about accidentally letting go of the button. And yes you should use jack stands. I'm just scared that I might have a brain fart and let go of the button at wide open throttle.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:29 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by rob41willys
I made a harness that I can connect to the transbrake button that apply's the brake without worrying about accidentally letting go of the button. And yes you should use jack stands. I'm just scared that I might have a brain fart and let go of the button at wide open throttle.
I have a Two Step that only goes to 5,500. Should I just unplug it and try it?

Also friend of mine has a wheel drive Pro Stock truck and was checking his convertor while still on his trailer. He let go of the trans button and it was ugly!! He barely manage to keep from hitting his motorhome!!
Please use jack stands or be in an open area!!
Old 06-13-2009, 07:33 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Do not stay there any longer than it takes to look at the tach....it builds up heat fast.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:38 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Best way to check it is have a playback tach, when you let go of the transbrake the conv will flash to a certain rpm, this is called the stall flash, then the ones that shift from 1-2 can see the rpm after the shift, this is called the stall recovery. BOTH of these are very important in the world of drag racing

IMO pulling a chip is a bad way to go about it but is better then nothing, it will be totally different on the track for stall flash.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:20 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

I have playback tach. Dang thing is hard to get to work right. I have one pass recorded, I'll go look at it again.
I don't shift. Run 1st gear all the way so recovery isn't a problem.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:26 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by TheRabbit
I have playback tach. Dang thing is hard to get to work right. I have one pass recorded, I'll go look at it again.
I don't shift. Run 1st gear all the way so recovery isn't a problem.
I love to see both on a drag car ET really can be had with both, so I am sure stall flash would be the same with you.