Rear engine Dragster Chassis

Old 04-11-2009, 07:14 AM
markthespark
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Rear engine Dragster Chassis

I,am getting back into racing, and want to buy a dragster. My question is, I have heard about hardtail,4-link, swing arm, and slip tube. How do I know which type to buy? I wanted to ask you the racers first, before I contact Mullis, American,Undercover ect. I want to run Quick Rod, and brackets, with around a 565bbc. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:05 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

I will tell you that we have been running a mono shock swingarm now for close to 10 years. Have had hardtails and driven true 4-link cars. I would never switch back from the swingarm. The swingarm movement is up and down. No side to side when racing the stripe or lifting in the shutdown like you can get out of a 4-link and no bounce like you can get with a hardtail. Currently have a 2008 Racetech Swingarm that is the smoothest of cars we have owned (it is also 4-sale on the classifieds if you want to talk about a deal :wink: ). The car we had previous was a Nelson car that we had a front and rear suspension on. Same as Hammertime will post about when he sees this. That suspension set up is killer as well. You want to look for a car with a cage 23" or bigger. It will help with resale as they will accommodate larger drivers where 22 and smaller is snug and limits resale opportunities. Ask away if there is anything that comes to mind.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:36 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

X2 Shawn
Old 04-13-2009, 04:06 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by shawnp
I will tell you that we have been running a mono shock swingarm now for close to 10 years. Have had hardtails and driven true 4-link cars. I would never switch back from the swingarm. The swingarm movement is up and down. No side to side when racing the stripe or lifting in the shutdown like you can get out of a 4-link and no bounce like you can get with a hardtail. Currently have a 2008 Racetech Swingarm that is the smoothest of cars we have owned (it is also 4-sale on the classifieds if you want to talk about a deal :wink: ). The car we had previous was a Nelson car that we had a front and rear suspension on. Same as Hammertime will post about when he sees this. That suspension set up is killer as well. You want to look for a car with a cage 23" or bigger. It will help with resale as they will accommodate larger drivers where 22 and smaller is snug and limits resale opportunities. Ask away if there is anything that comes to mind.

x3

Shawn and I talk a lot and have basically the same feeling on cars.
Also IMO do NOT get caught up in the "big" name cars, just because it says Undercover doesnt mean its going to turn on win lights.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:48 PM
markthespark
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default dragster

Thanks for explaining about the diff. designs. I have 3 disc,s fused in my back and was wanting something with suspension.Shawnp that is one pretty cae you have. I dont think I will be spending that much for a car, I know it is worth it being it is new abd a nice motor. If my wife would let me take that much out, I would buy it.I see dparker took his dragster out Easter and got to the semi,s. hammertime I thought had a good point about getting caught up in the big name chassis stuff. The 60.000 rolling cars, all chromed out and stuff. I do not live far from Mullis, Troy and Brian are trying to get me to buy one of there,s. I never knew there were so many diff. options for a dragster.I have been talking to Nisbett about motors and he was telling me about Russ Farmer, and then I pieced it together about RaceTech.I had another post on gas or alcohol, and I went to hammertime,s web site and seen the dyno pulls on gas and alcohol. Alcohol made more horsepower, which was real educational. Thanks guys for the responses and all the help. I know I will come up with alot more questions.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:00 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

No problem. I also know that Hammertime had his car for sale on here and was a killer deal rolling or turnkey with the dual suspension. As for Mullis, we looked at Troy's car 2 years ago at PRI. Very nice cars indeed and if they are close to you and will deal. go for it. We chose to go Racetech and love it. We had a 1996 Mullis many years ago and it was a very competitive car.