Nova progress

Old 04-11-2009, 04:48 AM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Nova progress

Since I don't post too much on this forum, thought I'd post some of my "slow" progresss. I've posted the link to the gallery from the Class Racer board. Something about this site and pictures, it just doesn't mesh with either me or my computer.

The pictures with the quarter panels are from my buddy, Larry Andersons garage. So far, the drivers side door hinge is fixed. One quarter panel is in place.

At this point, we still need to fix the braking system and finish up the rear suspension, diagonal link, final s/u. Fuel lines, cell, re-tin it, put the motor and tranny back together. Maybe get it out late this year? It may well go to the track in primer.

http://classracer.com/classforum/alb...00&albumid=425
Old 04-11-2009, 05:01 PM
markthespark
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Nova Progress

Nice looking Chevy 2. What kind of motor are you going to drop in her? I sold my 67 nova about 9 years ago to Clearly Bros. Pro Stock team from northern Indiana. Really it was a 66 but I could only find a glass front end for a 67, so I said it was a 67 so I would,nt have to explain to somebody. What class are you going to run in?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Re: Nova Progress

Originally Posted by markthespark
Nice looking Chevy 2. What kind of motor are you going to drop in her? I sold my 67 nova about 9 years ago to Clearly Bros. Pro Stock team from northern Indiana. Really it was a 66 but I could only find a glass front end for a 67, so I said it was a 67 so I would,nt have to explain to somebody. What class are you going to run in?
Mark, it's the same as yours. It's a 66 with the 67 front end. I've had this car for over 30 years. It's spent the last 20 shoved in the corner of the various garages of the places I've lived in. After much prodding and my plans to buy another car fell through, I got it back out and started working on it. The 4 link and fabbed 9" housing are new additions, replaced the old ladder bar setup that was under the car.

Engine wise, I may freshen the 336 that was in the car. Or if I can stumble across a good stroker kit, I'd like to use my cam and aluminum heads and put together a 383 or 406 ci motor. The car ran consistant 10.90's when it was last out. I'd be real happy with those times this round as well. I have a couple 350's lying around, one of them may become a donor for this endeavor.

We're just going to use it to race Pro bracket and Footbrake races. Have an aversion to all the electronics that started to become so in vogue before I quit in 1988. Nothing against anyone that uses them, it's just not what my partner and I want to do. To run the Super Pro bracket today, I'd say one needs the electronics to be competitive. Same pretty much holds true for running S/ST-HR as well.

I'll also probably use it to test my IHRA crate stocker motor, since I'll probably have it done before I get my 79 Firebird prepped. It ought to make a good bracket motor. I can get the bugs worked out of it before I put it in the stocker. Use it as a mobile engine test stand, LOL!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:02 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Looking good :!: :!:

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''
Old 04-11-2009, 08:57 PM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

looks nice....
Old 04-12-2009, 04:50 AM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Nova

Looking good.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

Default continued

Well, after a trying couple of weeks, my friend, Larry Anderson and I finally got to work on the car again.

Sorry, no further pictures as yet. My computer crashed about two weeks ago as well. Lost all my pictures of the car, sans the ones on both this site and Class Racer. Do have many of them on my buddy's site and on disc in camera, all is not totally lost. Am presently working on a 6 year old computer, slow is the word.

Anyway, we have gotten the passenger side quarter on now. Just need to get it opened up for tire clearence. Won't be long before it's ready to return home. As my partner said tonite, "there's light at the end of tunnel". It's still a mighty big tunnel!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:20 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: continued

Originally Posted by Oldewalnut

Sorry, no further pictures as yet. My computer crashed about two weeks ago as well. Lost all my pictures of the car, sans the ones on both this site and Class Racer. Do have many of them on my buddy's site and on disc in camera, all is not totally lost. Am presently working on a 6 year old computer, slow is the word.
CARBONITE for 'puter back up