Thread: question about bearings

question about bearings

I was getting my area ready to start throwin my small block back together before I pick it up from the machine shop and I noticed the old rod bearings have 030 stamped in them but the mains say STD. I didnt have to have the "H" rods reworked because they were fine. My question is, does that mean the crank has already been turned 030? and if so can it be turned anymore or is it junk? it was all supposed to be brand new stuff.
    Thanks for all your help so far!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE fla1976's Avatar

Crank shaft

The only way to know what the journals are is to mike them. That will tell you where you stand. I've been told that 0.030 is the max turn on a crank for any racing, but I'm sure there are some more informed people on this forum that can give better info.

.030 is fine if it is a forged crank.it used to be common practice to turn a 2.100 l.j. crank to 2.000 s. j. and run aluminium rods....that is .100 off of a new crank...i had one years ago and turned it 9200 rpm's and 8700 in the lights..i was the second owner of the short block,then i sold it to a friend,who ran 8.50's in an x pro stock monza...it is still sitting around and never blew it up..J.M.O

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Before i put that engine together I would have the crank magnafluxed to check for cracks and if it has a clean bill of health then I would have the crank polished.