Thread: Tandem axle trailer vs triple axle trailer

Tandem axle trailer vs triple axle trailer

Looking for a good used 28 footer to haul my hot rod around in. Have always used a tandem axle 24' enclosed but find its just not big enough anymore. Does a 3 axle pull any different than a 2? Is 3 over kill for one lightweight car and all the crap I seem to haul around? Anyone have real experience or comparison?
    batteriesnotincludedsomeassemblyrequiredindividual resultsmayvary

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE BEAST477's Avatar
    You'll be fine with tandem axle under a 28' just try to get heavier axles if you can 6500lbs i think not 5200lbs. I have a 32' with tandem that works ok i wish i had triple axle mine is heavy 7250lbs empty.
    BEAST477

Only a rich man can afford to use cheap parts.

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/177549

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Anything under 30', tandem is fine as long as you have 6000 lbs axles. I have a 38' gooseneck with tandem and pulls like it isn't even back there. Of course, I wouldn't have 5200 axles on anything more than a 20' open trailer.

Beast, you're trailer seems heavy. My 38' weighs in a little of 5K. Our new Haulmark title weight is 9900. But I don't think it is that heavy. Should have weighed it before I started to load stuff into it.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    We have a 28 foot Tri-axle trailer. After having the tri-axle trailers, I would not go back to a tandem. The extra control that the 3rd axle provides when pulling behind the motorhome is fantastic. Now if I could figure out a way to get a gooseneck behind the motorhome. LOL

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Coming back from somewhere north of Dallas one time, I'll try to make it short and sense of it. But I saw a 1 ton dually pulling a gooseneck horsetrailer and behind it was a tandem axle dollie trailer with another gooseneck horse trailer hooked to that. Man that was a long rig.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar
    HOLY COW !!! How the heck do you back THAT thing up ??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898