Thread: SBC 427 Stroker Build (w/ Dart SHP 400 Block)

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER TheEngineer's Avatar

SBC 427 Stroker Build (w/ Dart SHP 400 Block)

I have a few questions about a SBC 427 stroker build, using a Dart SHP 400 block w/ a 4.0” stroke crank and H-Beam rods w/ cap bolts (possibly CompStar rods).

1. Will the Dart SHP block require additional clearancing for the 4.0” stroke and H-Beam rods? Also, which are the best rods for the clearance issues?

2. If I used a 3.875” stroke crank, does that crank require clearancing the block?

3. Will I need to use a small base-circle cam with a 4.0” stroke? I was hoping to reuse my current Comp solid-roller cam in this engine?

4. If I use a Dart Little M block (in place of the SHP), will Little M block require clearancing?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    You might PM hink he really up on the Dart blocks. I think he can probably answer all you questions.

http://forums.racingjunk.com/profile...rofile&u=27868

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    As far as the cam goes. Unless you use a block with a raised cam, you will have to use a small base circle cam with a 4 inch stroke crank.

TS1955

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER

Re: SBC 427 Stroker Build (w/ Dart SHP 400 Block)

Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer
    I have a few questions about a SBC 427 stroker build, using a Dart SHP 400 block w/ a 4.0” stroke crank and H-Beam rods w/ cap bolts (possibly CompStar rods).

1. Will the Dart SHP block require additional clearancing for the 4.0” stroke and H-Beam rods? Also, which are the best rods for the clearance issues?

2. If I used a 3.875” stroke crank, does that crank require clearancing the block?

3. Will I need to use a small base-circle cam with a 4.0” stroke? I was hoping to reuse my current Comp solid-roller cam in this engine?

4. If I use a Dart Little M block (in place of the SHP), will Little M block require clearancing?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
    Your better off using a Little-M block as they will clear a 3.875 stroke with steel rods and go with a 3.875 X 4.185 bore to get your 427 SBC. And those blocks will go 4.200 if needed.

And they make custom pistons every day

We are WD on Dart blocks all machined if interested give me a call.
    WWW.CNCBLOCKSNE.COM
    IS A DIVISION OF
    HINKSON AUTOMOTIVE
    RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT

CARL HINKSON 207-892-7215
    EMAIL CHINKSON@JUNO.COM

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    X2, i built a 434" Lil "M" and had Bullit grind my cam to .870 base circle to clear the lunati promod rods, typically most base circles are .950 and will not clear a 4" stroke unless it's a raised cam blk.

JMO

Zip.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    We just finished a 427 using a SHP block, Comp Cams .685 lift roller, used Eagle CRS6000BST2000 Rods, had tons of room, cam was .940 base circle.
    Any small base will clear.
    Competition Engines & Hardcore Engine Parts
    www.cnc-motorsports.com
    info@cnc-motorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by cncmotorsports
    We just finished a 427 using a SHP block, Comp Cams .685 lift roller, used Eagle CRS6000BST2000 Rods, had tons of room, cam was .940 base circle.
    Any small base will clear.
    What about the CompStar H-Beam rods, any clearance issues with the 4" stroke?

WD

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Yes, Compstar rods will clear up to .660 lift using .900 base roller cam, use .875 base you will be fine for higher lift.
    Competition Engines & Hardcore Engine Parts
    www.cnc-motorsports.com
    info@cnc-motorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by cncmotorsports
    Yes, Compstar rods will clear up to .660 lift using .900 base roller cam, use .875 base you will be fine for higher lift.
    I sent you a PM, hope you got it OK.

WD