Chrome dragster headers

Old 04-04-2009, 06:25 PM
manley
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Chrome dragster headers

Sorry but I wasnt sure where to post thisquestion!

I bought a used set of header today and the have a big brown spot on them, I was told a plastic bag stuck to them and melted on the chrome! Does any one have any ideas on how to get this spot off?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:07 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Chrome dragster headers

Originally Posted by manley
Sorry but I wasnt sure where to post thisquestion!

I bought a used set of header today and the have a big brown spot on them, I was told a plastic bag stuck to them and melted on the chrome! Does any one have any ideas on how to get this spot off?
Only thing that may work is, "blue job" its very easy to use, about 10.00 for a small thing of it. But if a plastic bag stuck to it and browned into it, it may never come out.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:45 AM
manley
JUNIOR BUILDER

I tryed that, I had some left over for the harley pipes, it wouldnt do anything!
Old 04-05-2009, 02:54 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I tryed that, I had some left over for the harley pipes, it wouldnt do anything!
RE-Chrome might be the only option, what kind are they ?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:52 PM
manley
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by hammertime
RE-Chrome might be the only option, what kind are they ?
Well i did get it off, I tryed everything! I ended up soaking a shop rag with some prep-all, then set it on the ugly spot for about a 1/2 hour! Then took my heat gun and stuck it in the tube, got it hotter then,,,well you now,,, and just kept wiping it and scraped it alittle with a putty knife! I used dull side of the putty knife just to kinda flake it off, and just kept wiping it with the soaked rag!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:08 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

I get marks off the pipes on my Harleys using "Mr. Clean Eraser Pads". It was the wife's idea and it works great. I had a Thunderheader on my Dyna that melted my boot in a rain storm (I was tucked right in trying to keep warm) and the rubber from the boot sole was burned on bad. I tried everything I could think of for two years and one day my wife strolled into the garage with one of the Mr Clean pads and wiped it totally off.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:27 AM
manley
JUNIOR BUILDER

I tryed one of those and it didnt do much! but iknow what you mean the do work on just about everything!