break in procedure SBC

Old 04-03-2009, 06:45 PM
motorobb625
SHOW GUEST

Default break in procedure SBC

I am getting ready to put my SBC back together with new bearings and a freshly turned crank all else remains the same. is there a correct way to break it in?
Old 04-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Take it out and run the shit out of it.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:39 PM
hotrod1024
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by Tod74
Take it out and run the shit out of it.
I agree.Thats what I was told along time ago.If its going to break,its going to break.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:44 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Todd is kiddin ofcourse, but i do have a procedure, not saying that it's right, but kinda a safty and feel comfortable about the engine. All liquids full and double checked. Put the car on jack stands, fire the car up start the engine set correct timming. If injectected make sure the leakdown i set close to specs. About 22lbs to start with. put the car in high gear, set the idle to 2,000 rpm's. Let it run until the temp. comes up to 200 degrees while checking for any visible leaks Shut the car down, pull the valve covers and re-torque the heads, then re-set the valves, check the intake bolts and header bolts. Pull the filter and cut it open look for any metal or any foreign mat'l. Install a new filter and re-fill oil. If everything is o'k, then you are ready to go. I'm not saying this is the only way to go, but it's one of the safest way to go. I too have bolted them together and went straight to the track, and have had good luck doing that, but that was when i could afford to screw up. I cannot afford to do that any more so i take precausions, and it pays off in the long run. I always know i can run balls out when i get to the track and not worry if i missed something.

JMO

Zip.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:04 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

NOTE; DONT LET TOD BREAK IN YOUR ENGINE :lol: :lol: :P
Old 04-03-2009, 08:33 PM
slickfuel
CRAFTSMAN

shouldnt you let the heads/motor cool back down to do a retorque ???

But yes readjust valves Hot
Old 04-03-2009, 08:58 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by slickfuel
shouldnt you let the heads/motor cool back down to do a retorque ???

But yes readjust valves Hot
Sorry and

Yes, i only re-torque the heads 1 time. i use MLS gaskets or SCE Copper with steel o'rings on all my high compression engine, Felpros on the low compression engines.
and
yes,
but you have to re-warm it up to re-adjust the valves after the heads are re-torqued. I can remember 20 plus yrs. ago when i was running a b/blk blown promod on alcohol, the first thing we did was change the oil and then check the valves, after that we would read the spark plugs and make what ever changes necessary in the fuel system, and we we ready for next round.

Zip.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:01 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

I do everything Zipper said, then.......do what Todd said! Don't baby it, run it like it's supposed to run. Easy passes are a waste of time IMO. Obviously, check for leaks and such for the first few passes.
Johnny
Old 04-04-2009, 05:23 AM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

good tip's, try not to wash the cylinder wall's down with fuel, when starting, seat the rings, then drop the hammer, good luck.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:19 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I wasn't kidding.
I do the things Zip does as far as looking for leaks and cutting the filter up.

When he said breaking it in I thought he meant baby it for 500 miles or something.

By the time everything is tuned up and the timing set etc I just change the oil and run the valves then go. I never bought into the

"Don't get on it until after 500 miles because you have to break it in"

P.S. ZIPPER... I didn't know you needed to retorque heads when you are using Fel Pros with the pre flattened wire ring? I never do that....should I be ? Iron Block Aluminim heads. FEL PRO 1017-1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -