Lost Titles

Old 03-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Kpcomb
JOURNEYMAN

Default Lost Titles

Hey i jus bought a car from a buddy of mines dad, he owns a wrecker yard, but didnt have the title. I bought it with the intent to race it but would like to still get the title. Does anyone know what i can do to get this thing in my name. It is a 1979 all original mustang cobra with the 2.3 turbo. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to put ten thousand in a car and not be able to prove its mine.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:42 PM
sds10racer
MASTER BUILDER

as long as you've got a bill of sale, just go to the county courthouse and and apply for lost title. they will run a search on the ser# to check the history and the previous owner. if there is no problems with it, they should issue a title to you. you might have to pay some taxes(ahhh i hate them) on it though.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:07 AM
Kpcomb
JOURNEYMAN

The only problem with that is, The bill of sale is from a wrecker yard, not the owner. Would that matter?
Old 03-18-2009, 06:31 AM
blowninjected540
EXPERT BUILDER

There is paper work that can be filed, between you and the wrecker co. to get a title. Call your sec. of state, I have done this befor in my state and it didn't cost much at all.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:54 PM
CamBirdRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

SOmetimes you can get a storage lien title from the storage lot. i bought a 77 Firebird back in 86 this way.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:20 PM
sds10racer
MASTER BUILDER

if he got the car legaly, he might have some kind of paper work. if not, when the courthouse does the search on the ser#, if it was stolen it would come up on the data base. if not, usually they send a notice to the last registered owner to see if he has a problem with it being titled in someone elses name. sometimes you can even get an abandoned car title. but i think the salvage dealer has to get that one.