Thread: Lost Titles

Junior Member JOURNEYMAN

Lost Titles

Hey i jus bought a car from a buddy of mines dad, he owns a wrecker yard, but didnt have the title. I bought it with the intent to race it but would like to still get the title. Does anyone know what i can do to get this thing in my name. It is a 1979 all original mustang cobra with the 2.3 turbo. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to put ten thousand in a car and not be able to prove its mine.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    as long as you've got a bill of sale, just go to the county courthouse and and apply for lost title. they will run a search on the ser# to check the history and the previous owner. if there is no problems with it, they should issue a title to you. you might have to pay some taxes(ahhh i hate them) on it though.

Junior Member JOURNEYMAN
    The only problem with that is, The bill of sale is from a wrecker yard, not the owner. Would that matter?

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    There is paper work that can be filed, between you and the wrecker co. to get a title. Call your sec. of state, I have done this befor in my state and it didn't cost much at all.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    SOmetimes you can get a storage lien title from the storage lot. i bought a 77 Firebird back in 86 this way.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    if he got the car legaly, he might have some kind of paper work. if not, when the courthouse does the search on the ser#, if it was stolen it would come up on the data base. if not, usually they send a notice to the last registered owner to see if he has a problem with it being titled in someone elses name. sometimes you can even get an abandoned car title. but i think the salvage dealer has to get that one.