Must all roll bars/cages be certified?

Old 03-15-2009, 07:57 PM
maydayneal
JOURNEYMAN

Default Must all roll bars/cages be certified?

I hope you dont mind if I ask a newbe question. I have just purchased a nova with a 10 pt cage....the car is set up to run low 11's...possibly dip into the 10.90's range on a perfect day. If I read the NHRA rules right...the car is actually only required to have a roll bar....so the cage is a bonus. But what I'm not clear on is if you have any type of roll bar or cage...must it pass SFI certification....or is that strictly for 9.99 and quicker cars?? The car has been raced for years at another track in the Super Pro division....but the chassis has never been certified....just wanting to get an idea if I'm going to run into any issues passing my track's tech.

Thanks!

Neal
Old 03-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Only 9.99 and quicker and then only if you race at NHRA track. My car isn't certified either and it would be in the 9's ..but I run at an 1/8 mile outlaw type track that does not enforce that.Also if it runs in the 9's you need a license. I think the rule is 6.40 in eighth.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:56 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

No certs. necessary for S/ST or 10.0 and above, but one of the stupidest rules on the book, if you have a roll bar no problems, but if you have a cage you have to have a window net, even for S/ST, go figure.

Zip.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:01 AM
maydayneal
JOURNEYMAN

Window net huh??....that does sound stupid....just because you do have the extra protection (that is not required)....you must have the window net too.

I will be racing at a "regional" NHRA member track....so I guess I will see if the tech presses me on that point. The good news is, that's not that big of a deal to install.

At some point I would like to have a sonic test done on the bars and go ahead a cert if I it can....but I'm not going to go to the extra expense of trying to run one down and schedule specifically for me.

Thanks for the info.

Neal
Old 03-16-2009, 09:29 AM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

If there is a divisional event close by you can get it done there for just general addmission and then it's $75.00 for your cert if you pass. You might be able to set one up at your place for a fee and find 3 or 4 other guys that need it done also and split up the cost. Thats what i'm doing in 2 weeks.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:26 PM
maydayneal
JOURNEYMAN

Thanks for the ideas......I think our track "sponsers" a certification each year....but I think thats later in the summer....but like I said, not in a hurry since I dont need it to run in the 11's.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:40 PM
robertstell
APPRENTICE

Default cage

YEAH, DONT GO AND BUY A SONIC TESTER, THE BARS YOU HAVE ARE PROBABLY LEGAL, THAT IS BASICALLY ALL THE INSPECTOR WILL DO WHEN HE CHECKS YOU CAR OUT, MAKE SURE ALL THE TUBES ARE THICK ENOUGH AND THE WELD ARE WELDED ALL THE WAY AROUND, ESPECIALLY UP TOP AROUND THE HOOP AND HALO AREA...YOU NEED TO LOOK AT IT LIKE THIS, IF YOU WERE GOING TO BOUNCING AND FLIPPING DOWN THE TRACK, WOULD YOU WANT ALL THE BARS YOU COULD HAVE AROUND YOU. THE NHRA INSPECTORS CAN COME TO YOUR HOME BUT ARE A LITTLE PRICEY. I HAD HARRY FERRARI COME TO MY HOUSE, HE LIVES ABOUT 50 MILES AWAY AND I ENDED UP SROKING MR. WALLEY A CHECK FOR $200.00. ALSO, IF YOU HAVE THE CHASSIS CERTIFIED, THE CAR WILL BE WORTH A LOT MORE MONEY WHEN YOU DECIDE TO SELL IT OR TRADE...MONEY WELL SPENT AND A GOOD PEICE OF MIND TO HAVE ALSO...HOPE THIS WAS HELPFUL TO YA, ROB
Old 03-17-2009, 05:14 PM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think chassis certification comes into play in S/ST if you run over 135mph in the 1/4?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:22 PM
sds10racer
MASTER BUILDER

according to NHRA rule, 9.99 to 7.50 and 135 and over mph need certified every 3 years. window nets are required in any full bodied car that is REQUIRED by the rules to have a roll cage. so if you are running 11 sec or slower and you have a cage, you don't have to have a net. but then again, you can never be too safe. so to answer your ?, if you're running 11.49 to 11.00, you need a roll bar, faster than that, you need a cage. faster than 10, needs cert.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:46 AM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

I would check around to see if there is a chassis shop that can check the car before NHRA does. IF you try to get it certified and it fails, The car is not legal to race at any speed. Because if the roll bar is to thin for 9.99 then it is too thin for 11.00.