Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i have a serious question....

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER

i have a serious question....

alright, my motor started knockin the other day, every thing is new though bearings rods pistons and all, so i pulled the motor and found that three of the oil punp bolts had vibated all the way out, meaning that thee was only one left holding it together, so i put some lock tight on them and put everything back together.
    heres he question
    can the oil pump cause the knocking i was hearing?

Member CRAFTSMAN
    QUESTION IS,..WHAT IS CAUSING THE VIBRATION ?????
    was the rotating assembl balanced correctly, etc,....
    or was it not assembled professionaly

is it a 454 bbc ???
    Smoldery Smokey Burnouts To You All

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Oh boy does this post bring back some bad memories, I had a similar experience except mine ended in a destroyed engine. They were probably just lose from the oil pump manufactor (melling of mexico).
    Since then I always remove the oil pump cover bolts and generously use red loctite on them. NOTE: They're usually lose or close to it.
    The knocking probably was due to the loss of oil pressure, motors tend to do that when they dont have any oil pressure.
    I also reccomend a great big low oil pressure warning light positioned at EYE level, another thing I learned tearing that motor up, no oil pressure kills motors in a hurry.
    Goodluck, Cp
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE curtisreed's Avatar

Re: i have a serious question....

Quote Originally Posted by bowhay
    heres he question
    can the oil pump cause the knocking i was hearing?
    Yes, when it doesn't pump any oil and it knocks a bearing out of the bottom end. I would pull the main caps at least and have a look.

Curtis

yes the rotating assembly was balanced
    and i checked the mains and few of the rod bearings and they all looked good
    it almost sounded like the pump was rattleing around and hitting the oil pan
    its a 350 sbc bored and stroked to a 385

Bowhay,
    I hope that didn't sound like a smart*** answer. How long did this motor run? Glad you could hear it over the exaust. If you don't mind who's pump was this? I have always taken apart new pumps and checked the gear clearance to cap dimension making sure it is .002-.003. I run a machine shop so I know how guys will let tolerances wander. I hope nothing was hurt in your motor.

Curtis

it was just a stock replacement gm high volume pump
    was intstalled about a year ago, and i just put it back in
    i didnt check the clearance but i didnt think it was necessary beacuase it had run for the entire time that i have had the truck
    i really dont know
    i just hope that when i get all the electrical hooked back up i can start the motor and it wont knock

Member JUNIOR BUILDER
    Quote Originally Posted by doorracer
    Bowhay,
    I hope that didn't sound like a smart*** answer. How long did this motor run? Glad you could hear it over the exaust. If you don't mind who's pump was this? I have always taken apart new pumps and checked the gear clearance to cap dimension making sure it is .002-.003. I run a machine shop so I know how guys will let tolerances wander. I hope nothing was hurt in your motor.

Curtis
    X2 & yes on clearance.Generally,(& I have always found) the clearances are greater than the desired dimension,I might add that I always gently deburr the gears also.

I just added the part about checking the clearance as a std. course of prep that I do on a new pump. This also makes sure the bolts are tight when I put it back together. Sounds like the bolts must have been a little loose and I have heard that high volume pumps will the possibility of chatter or vibration. Not sure how true that is just things that I have heard through the years. I never run a high volume pump myself in a SBC, have never found the need for it with the clearances we run. I hope it doesn't knock also. Good luck.

Curtis

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    What I would like to ask is, was there any metal in the bottom of the oil pan or in the oil filter?