Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12o'clock Timing Tab

12o'clock Timing Tab

Do any companies make a timing tab for the 12 o'clock position on a small block chevy?

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Don't want to sound stupid but why do you need a 12 oclock timming tab. unless your harmonic balancer has an extra key slot there's no way the "O" timing can be anywhere except at 2 oclock, unless you have a different grind crankshaft and camshaft.
    again just curious

Zip.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Some sbc's had the ting tab behind the water pump at roughly 12 o-clock, welded to the timing cover. I've never seen any aftermarket tabs for that. However, if you're using an aftermarket balancer, the marks will be closer to 2 o-clock. You really should determine true tdc with a piston stop and mark your tab accordingly......
    Johnny

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    agree with johnracer..some of the later sbc moved there timing marks to 12-o-clock so you can see them..won't find any aftermarket pointers for them..about only thing you can do is get a ballancer off an older sbc.they all are at 2-0-clock then everyone sells pointers for them..

I bought an ATI super damper which Ive got to put on, Im gonna have to find TDC with a piston stop tho. The car is an 89 Iroc which origionally had a 12 o clock position. The current block and crank are from 75 but when I hit it with a timing light its showing 12 not 2

Quote Originally Posted by camaro430sut
    I bought an ATI super damper which Ive got to put on, Im gonna have to find TDC with a piston stop tho. The car is an 89 Iroc which origionally had a 12 o clock position. The current block and crank are from 75 but when I hit it with a timing light its showing 12 not 2
    What timing is it showing at 12:00? Are you setting initial or total timing?

Im doing initial timing. Not sure what it was showing. The timing tab on the motor is at 2 o clock. Timed it by ear to get it pretty close. The car runs good but I know its not spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by camaro430sut
    Im doing initial timing. Not sure what it was showing. The timing tab on the motor is at 2 o clock. Timed it by ear to get it pretty close. The car runs good but I know its not spot on.
    If you still have the original balancer your timing mark should be straight up. Once you get the ATI balancer on you can get an aftermarket tab that bolt to the side of your timing cover. When you time your engine it would probably be better to time it by the total timing. Just run the engine up to 2500 to 3000 rpm and set it at 34 to 38deg whatever you prefer. The initial timing will be in the ballpark and you won't ping at higher rpms.

I dont have the origional 305 balancer. The motor had 150k on it so I scrapped it along with the balancer and origional timing cover. Right now theres a cheapie proform(i think) balancer on there and I have a bolt on timing tab in the 2 o clock position. So what your saying is do total timing once I get the new balancer on and I should be able to use my 2 o clock timing tab?

Yes, as long as you don't have a computer that is controlling your timing.