Vacuum pump question

Old 02-25-2009, 09:59 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Vacuum pump question

I've never ran a vacuum pump, but most here the forum swear by them. My ??? is i've ran total seal rings for the last 25 yrs. is there anything to be gained when running these types of rings or has anyone run a vacuum pump with total seals and made comparisons.

Thanks in advance

Zip.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:00 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Zip i have seen your post on here today and passed it by several times cause i have not personally performed the test you described..
but when i was At PAR racing engines this past fall, he ask me did i have a vaccum pump that all is stuff required one..he dyno's all his stuff and i am sure they can answer your Question without guessing.
if you would like their # i can pm you.
Scott Duggins (owner) or Brad will most likley answer the phone, if you speak with Scott feel free to use my name he knows me.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 02-25-2009, 07:09 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Have been over this a lot in the last few months, and ended up with total seals back in it. Not that there might be some hp there, seems the low tension rings may be to low tension according to some.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:48 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hammertime
Have been over this a lot in the last few months, and ended up with total seals back in it. Not that there might be some hp there, seems the low tension rings may be to low tension according to some.
Did you have a vacuum pump with both applications? I know that even after a 100 passes total seals still have a leakdown of less than 3% if the cylinders are indeed round and not excess clearance on the pistons. I also know that the oil will milk on the initial warm up if you don't take steps such as cutting the fuel/shutoff to about 1/2 while the engine warms up, unless you have an idle bypass properly set and i'm talking with total seal rings and running alcohol. I could be very wrong, but the milking of the oil would be the only advantage of running a vacuum pump with total seal rings.
I know this is a tuff question, if it wasn't i might already know the answer, maybe Hink has done this test and will step in or one of the other good builders that are on here.
But the vacuum pump i had spotted, unfortunately was traded today for 30 pieces of silver, but i'm still trying to get it back from the (local) person who got the good deal. O'h well it seems like i'm always a day late and a dollar short.
I used to work for years 1 blk. from total seal rings mfg. co. in phx. and i'd just stop by the office and get the rings i needed, and if they didn't have them they would make them for me in a day or two, that did in effect hook me with their product.

Zip.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:01 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

O'k i just read an article posted on google by super chevy mag. where they built a pump gas 396" sm/blk using total seal rings. Made 561 hp without a vacuum pump, 574 hp useing a moroso 3 vane pump set at 14.5 inches of vacuum. Not sure how or why that works but most dyno's can't be fooled from one test to another. I guess my theory of total seal rings not gaining hp with a vacuum pump is ALL WET, so i stand corrected.

Zip.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:49 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Who sells crank case vacuum pumps ?
Old 02-26-2009, 03:55 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

sumthin' I found...

http://www.b2600turbo.com/Crankcase%20Pressure.htm

and more info...

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...PagePosition=2
Old 02-26-2009, 06:17 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
O'k i just read an article posted on google by super chevy mag. where they built a pump gas 396" sm/blk using total seal rings. Made 561 hp without a vacuum pump, 574 hp useing a moroso 3 vane pump set at 14.5 inches of vacuum. Not sure how or why that works but most dyno's can't be fooled from one test to another. I guess my theory of total seal rings not gaining hp with a vacuum pump is ALL WET, so i stand corrected.

Zip.
20hp on my motor with and without it