Thread: Ford 460 Flywheel and Lakewood Bellhousing

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

Ford 460 Flywheel and Lakewood Bellhousing

From what I understand Ford manufactured 176 tooth flywheels for cars and 180 tooth flywheels for trucks for their 460 engines. The Lakewood bellhousing #15220 calls for a 184 tooth flywheel only. What starter is used on the 184 tooth flywheel for that bellhousing??

Thanks.

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER gearhead1011's Avatar
    The hayes flywheel listed for the 460 is a 184 t. I don't know what Ford offered but know a guy that should know. I can call him tomorrow. There is a footnote in both the lakewood and hayes catalog that warns of possible interference and that the bellhousing may have to be dial indicated.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Thanks for the help on this Chuck. The Jegs catalog has the footnote on this housing that a 184 t flywheel must be used. Thanks again!!

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER gearhead1011's Avatar
    I talked to my clutch guy today and he said that Ford didn't build any 460 manual transmission stuff prior to 1978. He said to convert one you would have to use a flywheel from a FE engine (352, 360, 428...) and a bellhousing for a 351M/400. I remember this swap would usually require 2 separator plates for spacing between the engine/trans. The FE flywheel is 184 T and the late model 460 is 180 T. Ford quit producing the 460 around '79 or '80 and when they started making them again it was a truck only motor. Make sure what year motor you have because the early ones were neutral balanced and the late ones were not. I'm not sure abpout the years on the balance.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898