BBC timing cover seal

Old 01-31-2009, 10:33 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Default BBC timing cover seal

I have a buddy that has a BBC timing cover seal that that came out on a new chrome timing cover. He called me and I told him to try another timing cover that maybe the new chrome one was bad. He put a steel one on with a new seal. He started the car and said he stalled the converter with his transbrake and it started leaking extensively from the seal. I asked him if the vent tubes on the valve cover was blocked or plugged. He said he could blow threw them with no problem. From the valve cover to the header. Anybody know what could blow the timing cover seal to where it would leak if the vents in the valve covers arent plugged?
Old 01-31-2009, 10:56 AM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Hey parker he didn't try another chrome cover on his second try did he? I've seen more than one of them do the same thing. I saw one so bad this last summer you could almost push the seal in by hand. I think the chrome is to hard and slippery to hold a seal.IMO
Old 01-31-2009, 11:01 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

No actually it was a stock one that I had ran before.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Maybe his harmonic damper is goofed up and not making a good surface for the seal. ???
Old 01-31-2009, 12:14 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I agree with Todd, it sounds like the balancer has a problem, while he has it off check to see if there is a groove worn around the balancer where the seal sits, if so they sell a repair kit that has a thin stainless sleeve that presses over the balancer to repair it. If you have calibers check the wall thickness around the balancer to make sure it's concentric with the crank shaft hole and the dampner hub.

JMO

Zip.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:31 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Seal

I've seen the pulley with a deep groove that would not seal because it was so deep. My buddy found a kit to repair it. It was basically a piece of thin steel tubing that fit snugly over the damper snout. It was a SBC. Don't know where to find it at this time. This was way back in the 70's. If that is the problem, I'll see if I can find the kit if you want it.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:41 PM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

O'Reilly's has them, They're called "Seal Savers".
Old 01-31-2009, 05:53 PM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

also some parts stores calls them "speedy sleves" i've seen them repair some big groves on ballancers..i've had it where i had no oil leat at all.pull timing chain cover to replace chain.put same cover back on but with new seal and oil pour out of it..check ballancer for grove[none]put the speedy sleave on ballancer and solve oil leak..
Old 01-31-2009, 06:01 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

I remember speaking with a Guy at the track 4 or 5 yrs ago that said he had a problem with his 468 blowing oil pan gaskets out..but i cannot remember what the problem was..i am wanting to think he said there was something about the rings that was causing the pressure to build in the oil pan..

i can't recall exactley..but i am almost sure this was our conversation that night.

Maybe you engine Builders out there has heard of something like this before..

i don't build them i only do some advanced assembling...lol

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 01-31-2009, 07:28 PM
jed5161
CRAFTSMAN

did you try sanding the chrome off and yellow weather-strip glue the seal in? also we had a couple of the "better" "heavy duty" double lip seal with small dust seal from orielly's (cannot remember part number or brand) and both of them ended up tearing the rubber off of the outter seal housing. Got one burnout out of one and a burnout/launch out of 2nd. Installed the standard seal and never had an issue after that.

Just something to look at. Hope it helps!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -