sagging door help

Old 01-15-2009, 07:03 PM
pgk
APPRENTICE

Default sagging door help

i have a 70 nova with a sagging drivers door i replaced the bushings and pins and still no help the bad part about it is the hinges are factory welded so there is no adjustment there any help is appreciated thanks paul
Old 01-16-2009, 01:09 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

MAYBE THE door is bent in a bit where the hing mounts...
Old 01-16-2009, 05:34 AM
michael1
MASTER BUILDER

You can buy new hinges and split them. Change the side that bolts to the door. That is usually the side that goes bad. If you find another way let us know what you do.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:15 PM
markadams
JUNIOR BUILDER

Couple little tricks of the trade I will share with you, but you must be very careful. First you can try a piece of 2x4 on a floor jack along the bottom edge of the door. Open the door slightly and place the board to push on a longer area than the saddle would do by itself near the rear of the door. This will bend the door frame inward at the top hinge area, BUT BE REAL CAREFUL because the door will get very close and maybe even touch the fender and could chip the paint, or you could roll the lower edge of the door so use your judgment. Another way is to place a big hammer in the lower hinge with the door open, then, with steady pressure force the door close. Not all the way, just until you feel a little movement. This will stretch the lower hinge and raise the door. This will most likely chip the paint in the hinge area. Last thing would be to drill out the spot welds in the factory hinges on the door and replace them with bolts. Then you can slot the holes and or shim the doors as needed.

Be very careful with whatever you do. These are proven methods I have used over the years sucessfully. Good luck. Mark Adams
Old 01-16-2009, 11:38 PM
pgk
APPRENTICE

thanks for the replys ill try those tricks out thanks paul
Old 01-25-2009, 06:22 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

There is a body tool made just for this purpose, it's a flat bar about 6 ft. long and loops over the body striker bolt and a bracket slips into the door striker. It allows you to almost close the door when in place and then lift up on the bar to pull the door up to the proper heigth, being careful to not pull up too much. It's usually the bottom hinge that gets pushed into the door frame. This bar just pulls the door frame back out. I was going to take a picture of the tool but my friend had lent it out to someone, and it isn't returned yet.

Zip.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:32 AM
markadams
JUNIOR BUILDER

Yes, Zip is right. I checked toolsusa.com and put door alignmnet in the search box. They have the one he is talking about for $54.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:12 PM
rhiasdaddy
JOURNEYMAN

Default door adjustment

take a floor jack with 2by4s on the pad and jack the door upand see if that helps it
Old 06-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Pstocknova
SHOW GUEST

the best way to cure this is to shim between the door and the hinge. very simple fix and you can make shims in the size you need... should take you about 20 min. Owned alot of novas... by far the fastest way to fix it