Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what trany do I have

what trany do I have

Ok if you read the scammer board you can see I really got screwed over but I am trying go get passed that and move on, I was told that the car I have a 72 nova, has a turbo 400 with reveres shift with a full manual shift and it does, and a trany brake it does, but how do I tell the differance if I have a 350 or in fact it is a 400 trans? :?: :?: thank you for reading and any reply's

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    The tail shaft is larger on a th400 and the case is bulkier. and the pan gasket is not square with the corner cut off like a 350

Are ther any type of casting numbers I can look for?

Junior Member APPRENTICE

tranny

On the 350 it will have the transbrake Soleniod on the back side of it. On the 400 it will be on the passenger side.. Hope this helps.. KRAZYKEN

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    From TCI's site. Which one looks like yours?

TH350 pan

TH400 pan

Powerglide pan

Wow great stuff Thank you the trenny brake is on the pass side. I have a reular pan do you recomend a fin pan for cooling?

No I don't, Most of your cooling will be done by a trans cooler when running. Fins are better than no fins, and cast aluminum isn't as good at transfering heat as a sheet metal aluminum is. Steel is just fine as well. I focus on the cooler for cooling. The larger the pan the greater the heat sink. The larger the cooler the better the cooling ability.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Quote Originally Posted by chpseat987
    Wow great stuff Thank you the trenny brake is on the pass side. I have a reular pan do you recomend a fin pan for cooling?
    the deeper pan will hold more fluid so that alone will help with the heat.

I use the heavy cast aluminum pan on my glide ..it helps to stiffen up the case..at least I think so.

Member JUNIOR BUILDER
    Quote Originally Posted by Tod74

I use the heavy cast aluminum pan on my glide ..it helps to stiffen up the case..at least I think so.
    How does the deeper pan help with the heat?

Quote Originally Posted by desoto30
    Quote Originally Posted by Tod74

How does the deeper pan help with the heat?
    Well, the more oil that you have in the system, the more heat that it will take to raise the temp.