Thread: Start retard?

Start retard?

Do most of you use the start retard feature on a MSD 7? I bought a new to me car this fall and see the previous owner did not use it. Anything I can find on MSD's website it should be a good thing to have, any opinions?
    batteriesnotincludedsomeassemblyrequiredindividual resultsmayvary

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    I do not use it, it pulls 20 or 25 degrees timing out, causes more issues then it helps. Cylinders start trying to fire on top of each other. Causing kick back and usually brakes flexplates and starters.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    I agree, the result is usually a longer crank to fire up. It is a bell or whistle and you may find a combination or two that likes it. Most don't benefit from start retard. A bone stock engine with locked timing at 42 degrees might like it when restarting HOT.

Member CRAFTSMAN
    I use the one in my 7al3 and have no issues with hard start or flywheel trouble. I have used a Starter saver on a 355 Chevy that was breaking flexplates and never had another issue. The MSD Starter Saver is adjustable on the amount of timing it pulls out and goes to regular timing after around 1000 RPMs. You almost do not know it is there. If you are having problems I would try it, you can always disconnect it. You can take two identical cars and what works on one may not work on the other. I always listen to what everyone has to say and adapt it to my own style.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Id never had 1,but i bought a dragster that has 1 in it so i'll try it this year and see what happens.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Mine starts better cold without the retard and it starts a little better hot with the retard hooked up. Being on alcohol, cold start seems to be the hardest, so I leave mine disconnected. I very seldom have to start my car when its over 160, its usually already running.