Thread: carb to hood clearance

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

carb to hood clearance

As you know I'm building a 68 chevelle with a big block. I need to see if anyone can tell me how high of a hood do I need to clear the carbs on a tunnel ram. The motor won't be ready for a little while and the body shop is about ready to paint the car. I would like to stay with a cowl style hood. Would 8" be high enough? Thanks

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Do you have a block, intake and carbs that you could use just for mock up? Would the body shop just wait to paint the hood until you get your clearances figured?

They would paint the hood later, but I really wanted to get the hood now. I know I need to have patience and just wait. I have a 5" now and I know it is not high enough. It is a glasstek that is already in yellow primer and I'm trying to get $400 for it. If I sell it I was going to buy another one and just get the hood out of the way.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar
    mmmmm ya better wait till ya get at least a full size mock up or the real deal in place..... All ya gotta be is 1/4 of an inch too high and........been there, done it, got the T-shirt, and a whole lotta frustration !!
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898

I guess I need to listen to you guys and just wait. If not I will be out of money for another hood. But if anybody does have a big block with a tunnel ram in a 68-69 chevelle please let me know how high your hood is. Thanks