Take somebody with you.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:22 AM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Default Take somebody with you.

I think alot of problems on here would be avoided if people buying a car would take an impartial party with them when looking at a car.

First of all, Take somebody that know something about what you are looking at buying. If your buying a dragster take a buddy who has one. If It's a muscle car take a body man or mechanic.

Even if you are experienced take another person. They might see something you missed on the car. Some time people buy with their heart not their brain. OMG this is a '67 Chevelle like I've always wanted!!! I gotta have it!! Then they get it home and find a ton of stuff wrong with the car. Then complain and put up negative post about the seller.

The best person to take with you is one that will pick the car apart. They won't just agree wtih you because you like it.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:57 AM
jondee05
SHOW GUEST

Your right, I've learned from experience. Its good to have another set of eyes.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:52 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

I've found it effective that when I go look a prospect over, then I'll leave for an hour and go back and look some more. Let's me digest what my first recon saw and in a new set of eyes the second time. Also let's my MIND take over instead of my WANT :shock: Amazing how many times I've rejected cars and avoided more work and money than I wanted, with this method. Then on the other hand, the ones I bought were great purchases
Old 12-19-2008, 07:34 AM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

very good tip slowmo, 4 eye,s can be better than two.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

SLOMO: I can't tell how many times I have been emotional & made a purchase & been sorry I had. Good point!!
Old 12-19-2008, 10:26 AM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Before I bought my current altered I looked at another that I might have bought if I didn't have somebody with me. I thought the car was cool but it wasn't what I really needed. There wasn't really anything wrong with the car. The biggest problem I had was getting my big butt in it. The cage was too narrow. You're kinda stuck with a problem like that. The car I bought had a cage that was way too short. But that I could fix. I took it to a chassis shop and had a new top installed.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:46 PM
fishmanjoe
JUNIOR BUILDER

Just a little word from someone who has been building hotrods and musclecars for about 40 years.look at a car in bright sunlight,you will see alot moremand if a car is in a garage,have them push it outside.You can see much more standing back from the car.most of all,you guys are right,take someone with you that is not afraid of being honerst in his opinion.good luck,take your time there are some real good deals out there.FISHMANJOE