Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much stall??

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

How much stall??

Ok this is actually a few questions here goes;
    My current setup is a 402 BBC in an '89 S-10 with a TH350 no brake 3500+ stall, truck weighs @ 2700lbs running a 9" with 4.56 gears on a set of 31" slicks. I'm getting things together to change trans setup to include a brake. My main question is this, if I put a glide in should I go with a different gear and also will I need more stall. I only run 1/8 mile where I'm from. Will I need to change alot of internal parts to stay together or will stock hold up? I've put in extra discs & clutches in the one I have sitting in my trailer but nothing more. I know I will change input to turbo. Any help appreciated. I'm on a budget here Thanks, Dave :x

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    Your 4.56 gears will work but I would say you would run faster with 4.88-5.38 gears depending on your HP and RPM range.
    Is your stall made for a brake? If not is needs to be.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE jmarksdragster's Avatar
    How much converter depends on where your engine makes power. What cam and RPM range do you run, and current ET?
    Mark Whitener
    http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work can't be good.

Cam specs are gross valve lift .612/.617, duration@.050 254/262, usually leave on footbrake @ 2000-2200 rpm shift at @6200-6500. Stock oval port heads, mildly ported, Team G single plane intake w/ alky carb. Current ET is low 6.80's/ low 1.4's 60' times. Also US7race, I have a set of 5.29 gears but they're not set up at this time. I'm not sure about the converter, I doubt it's designed for a brake. I have another that may work though. Thanks, Dave

A 9" around 4500-5000 would work best, stick with a 4.56 if you plan any 1/4 mile trips.
    Mark Whitener

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Re: Need some info

Quote Originally Posted by hambone82
    Ok this is actually a few questions here goes;
    My current setup is a 402 BBC in an '89 S-10 with a TH350 no brake 3500+ stall, truck weighs @ 2400lbs running a 9" with 4.56 gears on a set of 31" slicks. I'm getting things together to change trans setup to include a brake. My main question is this, if I put a glide in should I go with a different gear and also will I need more stall. I only run 1/8 mile where I'm from. Will I need to change alot of internal parts to stay together or will stock hold up? I've put in extra discs & clutches in the one I have sitting in my trailer but nothing more. I know I will change input to turbo. Any help appreciated. I'm on a budget here Thanks, Dave
    If the go to a powerglide the stock parts that you don't have to replace for your application are the plants, the case, the sirvo, and the front pump, the other internal part should be upgraded.

You need a high gear hub, input shaft, 5-6 high clutches, and a dual ring servo piston. Only use the 1.76 if using a factory gear set.
    Mark Whitener

Another dumb ? Is there a simple way of telling if I have 1.76 or 1.82? I may just wind up sticking with current setup. Starting to get discouraged with it anyway.
    http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/p...ber13417-1.jpg

SEMPER FI!

U can step on the brake
    U can step on the gas
    But step on ur crank
    Ur gonna get passed!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    The 1.76 gear is alot bigger. Lets see, on the 1.76 gear the gears you see will come to the edge of the base on the plantetary and the 1.82 will be about an inch from the edge.
    Instead of upgrading your stock powerglide you might try buying a used powerglide thats already setup. You should be able to get one, not tricked out, but that would work in your 402, from $700 to $1000 ready to go.

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    Quote Originally Posted by hambone82
    Another dumb ? Is there a simple way of telling if I have 1.76 or 1.82? I may just wind up sticking with current setup. Starting to get discouraged with it anyway.
    Here is a Pic...

http://www.putfile.com/pic/5999073#