Herbert loses Snap-On Sponsorship

Old 11-12-2008, 02:59 AM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

Default Herbert loses Snap-On Sponsorship

This is how bad it is getting men, Doug Herbert has been told by Snap-On Tools that they will no longer sponsor the team. The have been Dougs' sponsor since 1992. I hope he picks one up soon! :shock:
Old 11-12-2008, 06:30 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Default THAT SUCKS!

Doug has been through to much this year. 16 years with Snap-On as a sponsor then just dropped?!?! That stinks, I hope he picks ups another sponsor before the beginning of the season. He is always great in the pits and takes the time to converse with his fans. Plus his work with BRAKES since his sons passed away in a car crash has been a great learning tool for kids all over the United States. I wish him and his crew the best of luck in aquiring a new sponsor.

Chris
Old 11-12-2008, 08:00 AM
cuda66
SHOW GUEST

Default Snap-On

Snap-Off
I'll inform my Snap-On Driver that he can Snap-Off and close my account, that's total BS, are they going to lower the price of their tools now?

Snap-On Snap-Off thats Icredible!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:03 PM
mikeaton
MASTER BUILDER

Default snap on

well remember when ace mcullough lost the mcdonalds sponsorship due to "age demograhics". last year i finally ate at mcdonalds.if we as fans and consumers of products ie.. mcdonalds,snap on tools etc... dont tell the vendors how we feel they will continue to do these things. you think nascar fans would take this sitting down? i for one buy mac tools along with snap on, guess who will get more buisness after this! tell your snap on dealer to write letters telling the "uppers" that what is happening for the dropped sponsorship. but dont take it out on the dealer themselfs they are just trying to make a living like we are.but they can relay the message for us!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:30 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I'm probably going to piss off half of the people who has posted to this post. But i liked the old days, 25 or so yrs. ago. I can remember when Kenny was towing his funny car with a box truck and an inclosed trailer. Sherl and her girl friend was selling t-shirts out of the back of it, i have pics. some where with me and Sherl and her girl friend at Phx. Race way park. We took pics. one day and she brought them over to my pit the next day and collected the $25.00, that keep them going. I can remember bringing over to Jim Head a Tig welder so he/we could weld up his headers so he could keep running. That was racing, today i agree that the cars are running outstanding #'s and all have big sponsers. They change a $50,000.00 moter between rounds and break another, no problems. I would love to see it go back to those days but then i guess the teams with the most money would win like Shaumaker, Force, etc.
Sorry if i pissed anyone off, but i'm old and remember when money was not the major factor, but intellengence was a contributing factor.
About Nascar, i donot watch it unless there's nothing else on TV. Nascar has over shadowed Drag racing for many yrs. and since i don't care for Nascar, it doesn't bother me if thay lose their sponsers. Maybe all racing will divert back to the best tuners, racers i would love to see that.

Sorry if i pissed off a lot of people, this is just my opinion.

Zip/John allen
Old 11-12-2008, 11:34 PM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

zip i agree with you.im not quite as old as you are, but i do remember when the big names were just a tad better off than the rest of us.i know the #s are out of sight now. cars doing 300 milies hr. thats great!. but i do miss the times when cars ran slower and so did the whole world.when a backyard builder really did have a chance. when the gasser was king. i guess thats wht i love the old time, ol school racing that is getting popular now.a guys are bring out retired gassers from the day or building them the way they did back then. dont get me wrong i think drag racing has come a long way, but id had rather watch 2 home built cars go after the prize than watch 2 corprate sponcered cars going at each other. people like force have put drag racing out there but the guy down the road is the one i like to watch
Old 11-13-2008, 03:28 AM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
I'm probably going to piss off half of the people who has posted to this post. But i liked the old days, 25 or so yrs. ago. I can remember when Kenny was towing his funny car with a box truck and an inclosed trailer. Sherl and her girl friend was selling t-shirts out of the back of it, i have pics. some where with me and Sherl and her girl friend at Phx. Race way park. We took pics. one day and she brought them over to my pit the next day and collected the $25.00, that keep them going. I can remember bringing over to Jim Head a Tig welder so he/we could weld up his headers so he could keep running. That was racing, today i agree that the cars are running outstanding #'s and all have big sponsers. They change a $50,000.00 moter between rounds and break another, no problems. I would love to see it go back to those days but then i guess the teams with the most money would win like Shaumaker, Force, etc.
Sorry if i pissed anyone off, but i'm old and remember when money was not the major factor, but intellengence was a contributing factor.
About Nascar, i donot watch it unless there's nothing else on TV. Nascar has over shadowed Drag racing for many yrs. and since i don't care for Nascar, it doesn't bother me if thay lose their sponsers. Maybe all racing will divert back to the best tuners, racers i would love to see that.

Sorry if i pissed off a lot of people, this is just my opinion.

Zip/John allen
Zip,
I doubt you pissed ANYBODY off with your post. If I had to take a vote, I would bet 90% would be on your side. I am not nearly as old as you (or outlaw256) and really do not remember much about the early years of dragracing. I have to agree with outlaw, the WHOLE world is too fast nowadays, simply because most folks are money driven robots. I think it would be great to get the computers out of racing, then let the best tuners and racers get back to work. I sometimes wish I was old enough to remember those days, my wife said I would fit right in the "old school" ways". I absolutely think it is crazy to give a race team millions of dollars, then make the backyard guy pay top dollar for his tools, somewhere back in time, priorities have changed dramatically. I do remember at least every street in out town had at least one racer, not anymore. I do miss the simpler days.
BTW, Nascar sucks :!:
Old 11-13-2008, 06:18 AM
signsbyesa
RACING JUNKIE

4 quakerstate lube shops have closed here in tx,
this has an affect on sponsors in the NHRA & IHRA, the exposure
is so limited compared to the NASCAR racing which has
even the slowest car with continued sponsor exposure even when
they lose. what part does GM, FORD, going to have in racing?
i remember seeing conard colita pulling his trailer and all his
tools in truck bed, john force driving for coke-a-cola, what
happened to all the soda sponsors? where is the coke or pepsi
funny car? well i know that powerade is by coke, but all the big
sponsors are in NASCAR and i think if they had to cut sponsorship
it would start in drag racing, i don't remember garltis having a
"personal chef", yea, the old days were grand 8)
Old 11-13-2008, 01:42 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Old days

I am old enough to remember the gassers and the beginning of the factory funny cars. Those were the great days of racing. We thought the eight second runs were the ultimate. They would advertise them as "Eight Second Hand Grenades". But, those days are gone as computer controlled cars are now the norm. As for NASCAR, I used to like to watch them , but that was when they were real cars. I was working as a mechanic at a Plymouth / Chrysler Dealer in 1970 when the Superbird was released. Roger McClusky had his Superbird there to prep it for the race at Phoenix International Raceway. Went to the race and enjoyed it. McCluskey lost to A.J. Foyt in a Talladega. The cars were factory cars with the biggest engines the factories had. Hemis and Semi-Hemis. Great racing. The racers and their crews were more accessible in those days. Guess we have to carry on.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:59 PM
mikeaton
MASTER BUILDER

in a interview on espn2 snake said it best"we did this to ourselfs" meaning the racer with the big sponsors have to have billet everything titanium nuts and bolts,spare spare spares, does anyone besides me wonder why pro stock motor cycles need a 18 wheeler like the top fuel and others have?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -