Thread: single piece oil pan gasket

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

single piece oil pan gasket

is there a trick or a magic way to use a single piece oil pan gasket on a small block or big block and not have them leak. everyone seems to have problems right off the bat with these things leaking. any comments out there in chevy land thanks chevy art

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    I have one that doesn't leak, BECAUSE as you can see in this photo it's hanging on the back wall where it will stay until it rots, in my opinion they're the biggest piece of crap ever made and 3 time more expensive than a 3 piece unit.

JMO

Zip.

That suprises me Zip I love them fel-pro's and always have issues with others leaking so I use them. Vac pump may help me though, I put a little bit of gasket sealer between the block and gasket.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Junior Member SHOW GUEST
    I use them quite often on both small and big blocks and have never had a problem. Just a touch of sealer where the timing cover and rear main cap meet the block.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE curtisreed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by novabbc
    I use them quite often on both small and big blocks and have never had a problem. Just a touch of sealer where the timing cover and rear main cap meet the block.
    X2

I use them with no problems. But you have to put silicone on the timing cover or they may push out with some oil pans. Let the silicone set up on the timing cover before putting the oil pan on.

O'K i'll amend my statement ops: , if you use studs instead of bolts and apply some sealent as others have mentioned they won't leak, BUT a lot of people don't use studs and they have a tendency to push out on the pan rails with stock type pans. Pans with thick/billet rails which are usually wider work much better with them. I just can't see spending $35.00 for a gasket for a stock type pan when i can spend $8.00 and have the same results. I've never ran a vacuum pump, only vacu-pan type evac system. Course a S/BlK doesn't have enough HP to turn a vacuum pump :lol:

Zip.

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    I use the SCE on my small block Chevy and I've had it on there for a couple of years. I've had the pan off and on so many times it ain't funny. Never had any problems with it leaking. I use studs in the pan rail and have a nice heavy Milodon pan.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE BEAST477's Avatar
    If you're using a good pan and not one of those cheap chrome plated ones you should be fine. The chrome is too slippery and the gasket can push out. JMO.
    BEAST477

Only a rich man can afford to use cheap parts.

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/177549