Thread: HELP!..12 bolt ring and pinion

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

HELP!..12 bolt ring and pinion

Ok... i just got back from a diappointing day at the track. I broke the ring gear teeth on my 12 bolt.. Car is 3100 s10 w/14.5 32's transbrake.
    Question is... these 5:14's richmond street gears only have 21 passes on them. They where setup by someone who does this everyday so i dont think they where installed incorrectly.I used to drive this on the street.
    Are the Pro gears much stronger? i prefer not to do this till after 100 pases or more.

thanks

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE mytmouz's Avatar
    Pro gears are actually softer ( heat treat) than the street gears. They will take the shock load better than the street, but they will wear quicker...
    If you think nobody cares, try missing a payment...

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Quote Originally Posted by mytmouz
    Pro gears are actually softer ( heat treat) than the street gears. They will take the shock load better than the street, but they will wear quicker...
    Exactly. If you run pro gears on the street, they won't last long. In a drag car, properly set up, they'll last a LONG time. IMO you need pro gears.....

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    put a good cover on the rear with bolts that go to the caps that will help more than anything

Put a pro gear in along with the good cover. I raced all season with the pro gear and the cover and had no problems. I would also use Red Line oil the the diff as well. It's cheaper to do it right the first time than it is to do it twice.

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    What power level? What ET's?
    What trans?

Re: HELP!..12 bolt ring and pinion

Quote Originally Posted by dynaguy03
    Ok... i just got back from a diappointing day at the track. I broke the ring gear teeth on my 12 bolt.. Car is 3100 s10 w/14.5 32's transbrake.
    Question is... these 5:14's richmond street gears only have 21 passes on them. They where setup by someone who does this everyday so i dont think they where installed incorrectly.I used to drive this on the street.
    Are the Pro gears much stronger? i prefer not to do this till after 100 pases or more.

thanks

3100 lbs, 14.5 32s and a brake!!! You most defiantly need pro gears no matter how fast your going!!!!

Pro Gears

Thanks everyone for your response's.. I have the 5:14 pro gears installed and maybe i can sneak 1 more time out.
    Usrace.. this is an s10 .. its running 10.40's with a power glide and transbrake... the motor makes about 640hp...
    These street gears where in the car when i bought the truck.. i was told they where pro gears but after i inspected them there where numbers etched in the ring and pinion which cross ref to a street gear.
    Guess it could have been worse... sure beats a busted motor.
    Once again thanks everyone!!

Keith

9. Racing Junk