electric shifting..need some input

Old 10-28-2008, 08:04 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default electric shifting..need some input

all my drag life i have either had a 4 speed or automatic that i manaully shift.
i have just purchased a electric shifter and now have it mounted..i got to start my wiring process...the spring doesn't look to me like it will pop the plunger into 2nd gear...

Give me your experience of hooking this thing up......thanks

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 10-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Run it through a normally closed relay....I use a msd rpm switch to activate it. Wire it so that with the ignition on there is current to the solenoid and the rpm switch just opens the relay which cuts the ground to the solenoid, allowing the spring to push it fwd. I think I explained that right...Mine works great....at least it did before it got flooded.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:00 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Juice, the spring pushes the plunger out pretty hard, never had a problem with ours not shifting. One of the things I always do on that style solenoid is, wire a pushbutton switch inline so when you are sitting in the lanes or wherever you can release the solenoid. When you pull back into low gear the plunger will always stay back as long as there is power to it. This will make the solenoid get hot, won't hurt anything but your arm when you touch it, the pushbutton allows you to release the plunger without having to kill the main power.

Curtis
Old 10-29-2008, 12:28 PM
oobob
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Brian, here ya go http://www.biondoracing.com/manuals/...enoids/ESS.pdf
Old 10-29-2008, 04:54 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

thanks guys,Gonna try two hands on the wheel the next year...cause i am gonna start playing with some good NOS, My goal is to put my 3200lb (I gained 100lbs with DART bIG "M" bLOCK") street legal 67 camaro in the 5.40's...it can be a 5.49 and i will be happy....it may take a 300 shot to do it..I am ready to get there...

Old 10-29-2008, 05:01 PM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

I always double check mine to make sure it's cocked before staging. Even after I pull it in low, I feel it just to be certain. Mine is mounted between my legs and I can't see it with my helmet and neck brace on.
Believe me it hits hard. Where mine's mounted I hope I never get anything caught in it. :shock:
Old 10-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

Brian, when you start using Nos go to "yellowbullet.com" for info on nitrous theres a fantastic forum columm just for nitrous. Guys that use it every day and way.Was a big help to me.!!! Good luck,D.R.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:07 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Racefab57
Brian, when you start using Nos go to "yellowbullet.com" for info on nitrous theres a fantastic forum columm just for nitrous. Guys that use it every day and way.Was a big help to me.!!! Good luck,D.R.
thanks Bud ..will do..i am now replacing my switch panel with the 8 switch panel that has the NOS armed ( activation) and Purge switches..

as of now i am leaning toward a WOT throttle micro switch with progressive....i have some Big shot selenoids here in the shop..not so sure the plates i have are up for the job.....or i am toying with the idea of Pluming my intake for a fogger in the spring....