Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 66 or 68 chevelle

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

66 or 68 chevelle

Can anyone tell me which car would work best in the stock suspension class and which one is lighter.The 66 is a hardtop and the 68 is a sedan. I'm going to put all after market upper and lower control arms but the wheel base is different so will one work better than the other. Thanks

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    The 66 is definately lighter and smaller, given my rathers, i'd choose the 66.

JMO

Zip.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE lively's Avatar
    THE 66 FOR SURE
    THAT COMES FROM A "FORD" MAN
    LIVELY

I would choose the 66....IF FOR NO OTHER REASON...It is a better looking car in my opinion.

[quote="Tod74"]I would choose the 66....IF FOR NO OTHER REASON...It is a better looking car in my opinion.[/quote

x2jmo
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    **IN GOD WE TRUST**

looks like I'm going to build the 68 because it has a shorter wheelbase and they are suppose to hook up better. I have a picture of the car under the show off thread before we stripped it down. The car is a real solid car.The 68 is actually lighter believe it or not because it is a post car according to all the books that I have read.

Still a cool car.

Thanks Tod

Good Choice... I have had a 68 & 69... but they were both street cars. Only major problem was around the rear window molding as they do not drain properly resulting in big time cancer. Personally, I love the lines of the 68/9... even the air-duct vents that say "Astro Ventilation"!! The tail lights on the 68 look better. The 68 was the last year of the dash ignition & last of the wing-windows too. They are neat cars...
    "I would walk through hell on Sunday before I fear the enemy"

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    Well, let's see--- your '68 is a post car (therefore stiffer initially) has a shorter WB, less rear overhang ( I think) and you Could run anything from a 6cyl to a BBC.
    The '66 is overall smaller, percentage-wise more overhang, less frontal area (although squarer) & can accomodate any engine also.
    I weigh each one to be sure, measure the frontal area also, THEN make the decision. This sounds like a racecar project & function usually takes prefernce over form.......