Oil pump problem?

Old 10-17-2008, 11:23 AM
jjam
CRAFTSMAN

Default Oil pump problem?

This is my problem, after adding 5-qts of oil 15w-40, I start to prime the pump/block I added oil in the oil filter. I started to prime with a cordless drill and battery went dead (only happens when you want to use them), I grabed the Sears 3/8 4.0amp drill and started to prime (w/shaft primer in pump) the intake is still off so I can see. The pump was turning fine, then felt the pressure, the drill started to smoke. I set the oil pump pick-up at 1/4" from the bottem of pan. Will the oil restrictors I installed in the back of the block do this? or is my pump bad, or pickup too close to pan, or needed a thinner oil? BBC 496,solid roller cam/lifters, roller rockers. Thanks I want to make sure before I install the engine in the car, Thanks again
Old 10-17-2008, 02:34 PM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

jjam, IMO your drill is too small. I always use a 1/2 inch drill, and it drags it down. It takes a lot of power to turn an oil pump, and when you fill it with oil it gets that much harder, a 3/8 drill doesn't have the oomph required. again JMO.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:30 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by suicidebomb
jjam, IMO your drill is too small. I always use a 1/2 inch drill, and it drags it down. It takes a lot of power to turn an oil pump, and when you fill it with oil it gets that much harder, a 3/8 drill doesn't have the oomph required. again JMO.
I agree
Old 10-17-2008, 05:09 PM
jjam
CRAFTSMAN

Thanks, this will save me from taking the pan off. Thanks again
Old 10-17-2008, 06:59 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

I always thought 3/8 clearance for the oil pump to pan
Old 10-19-2008, 12:31 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

i burnt up a old 1/2 in. drill then bought a black and wrecker. burnt that up too. i was terrified my motor was a boat anchor. bought a dewalt. still have it and my motor.