Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TH 350

Junior Member SHOW GUEST

TH 350

I have a '78 Malibu. It runs 11.60 at 114 MPH - 1.65 60 FT with 406 TH 350 and 4.11 gears on foot brake. It weights 3,505 lbs. I was going to install a brake in the TH 350. The trans has a Race Master rebuild kit and a good reworked valve body. Has anyone put a brake in a trans like this with no other modifications and, if so, how long did it last?

Also, I have talked to a few trans guys and they tell me to put in a powerglide with a brake. - I thought that my car would be too heavy for the powerglide. Does anyone know if that's true, and would the car be slower with the powerglide?

I looking for some help/suggestions. Thanks in advance

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE jmarksdragster's Avatar
    A car like yours will almost always run faster with a glide as long as you are running enough converter for the engine combo. What is in the 406 and what stall?
    Mark Whitener
    http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work can't be good.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    My car on the left (avatar) weighs a little over 3250lbs with a 377" motor, i run a PG with pro brake, but you also need more gear. I run 6.52 and 10.59@125MPH. The car is backhalfed and tubbed with a glass hood, other than than that the car is totalally stock, dash with all instruments, even still the ac controls, roll up glass, all the lights,etc.
    But i do run 5.43 gears.
    The PG is easier to turn, and lighter than a 350 turbo.

JMO

Zip.

Member MASTER JOURNEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarksdragster
    A car like yours will almost always run faster with a glide as long as you are running enough converter for the engine combo. What is in the 406 and what stall?
    Just as Mark said, go with a glide. You will be money ahead in the long run. Matt

Junior Member SHOW GUEST
    will a good rebuild cluthes ect. with a break be good for what i am doing or do i need more. i have a cone 4800 stall

Junior Member SHOW GUEST
    for a glide

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    I think i'd put that car on a diet frist.theres got to be something you could take out

jmo
    Full Time Racing,WASTED $$ division

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/281924

Be a Fan of Full Time Racing on facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/FULL-T...G/177402183154

well,from my point of view and from what i have seen with most of the foot brake cars at our track a 350 turbo is always faster in a heavy car.you can't beat that low first gear to get off the line.i have driven 8 second dragsters and 9 second door cars and a p.g. is a bad ass trans. but put it in a 10.80 car at 3200# and you have a slug....i know of at least 6 pro cars that spent a lot of money on glides and 8" convertors and lost 4-5 tenths.if you have a good intermediate drum and sprag,trans brake that thing and stand that bitch on the back bumper.

just wanted to add,a friend let me drive his camaro one sunday this year. all steel,heavy car with a mild 350 sbc. it went 10.75-10.75-10.74...i lost. but my point is with a 3 speed trans,the 60' was 1.39...this thing would launch. most cars i have seen with a glide and that 60' are running..9.90s.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    haha, then put a turbo 400! 2.48 1st gear i believe