Oil Pans & HP

Old 09-28-2008, 10:43 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Oil Pans & HP

Hey guys this has been talked about several times I am sure but how much HP is there to be had in oil pans ?

I've ran a regular moroso pan for years but wondering if I should be looking at others ?

thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 07:34 AM
ARUSSELL
MASTER BUILDER

I had a Milidon pan that is basically a Moroso and when freshened the engine put on a ProCam pan and picked up 8 hp!!
Old 09-29-2008, 10:27 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I don't know how HP can be picked up in an oil pan, but going dry sump there's definately some good gains. There's definately some gains by cutting down on the oil pressure and running thinner oils. i know people running 0-30 oil and gained as much as .005, but that's with a S/blk. By the way my friend with the old 49 ford truck not chopped with stock frame and ladder bars, got some new tires and ran 5.39 friday no additives. That's a 572 rat on gas and over 3,000 lbs with all glass and roll up windows.

Zip.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:27 PM
ARUSSELL
MASTER BUILDER

I think it is thw way a pan controls the windage. Some just have a better design then others.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:49 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

David, in my opinion, if you have a very high rpm combo, then you would probably see gains on a dyno with a really good pan. I'd say maybe 8-10 hp. If you had a really crappy pan before, maybe more. On the track, especially in a fast car like yours, I don't think you'd see any improvement at all. For what a trick pan costs, you could find more cost effective power gains elsewhere.....jmo
Johnny
Old 09-30-2008, 06:07 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

thanks for the replies guys

Like the last post said is what I figured there are better places to spend the money to make HP. Not that I need a ton more just looking for another 50hp without doing much to the motor. 8)
Old 09-30-2008, 07:42 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

Deep Sump. The deeper the better.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:12 PM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default DEEP PANS

Hey JMARK YOU SAID?...."Deep Sump. The deeper the better."... Thats what "she" says"!! lol.. just jokin around

Keith
Old 10-03-2008, 12:27 AM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

My concern with an oil pan is to make sure the proper oil pressure is maintained throughout the run. Some pans on certain applications do not allow proper windage and oil return for pump pick up resulting in low oil pressure around 1200 ft mark. Now that a scary moment.
I have found the moroso and old hamburger pans work great for my seranio.