Thread: Oil Pans & HP

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Oil Pans & HP

Hey guys this has been talked about several times I am sure but how much HP is there to be had in oil pans ?

I've ran a regular moroso pan for years but wondering if I should be looking at others ?

thanks
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

I had a Milidon pan that is basically a Moroso and when freshened the engine put on a ProCam pan and picked up 8 hp!!

I don't know how HP can be picked up in an oil pan, but going dry sump there's definately some good gains. There's definately some gains by cutting down on the oil pressure and running thinner oils. i know people running 0-30 oil and gained as much as .005, but that's with a S/blk. By the way my friend with the old 49 ford truck not chopped with stock frame and ladder bars, got some new tires and ran 5.39 friday no additives. That's a 572 rat on gas and over 3,000 lbs with all glass and roll up windows.

Zip.

I think it is thw way a pan controls the windage. Some just have a better design then others.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    David, in my opinion, if you have a very high rpm combo, then you would probably see gains on a dyno with a really good pan. I'd say maybe 8-10 hp. If you had a really crappy pan before, maybe more. On the track, especially in a fast car like yours, I don't think you'd see any improvement at all. For what a trick pan costs, you could find more cost effective power gains elsewhere.....jmo
    Johnny

thanks for the replies guys

Like the last post said is what I figured there are better places to spend the money to make HP. Not that I need a ton more just looking for another 50hp without doing much to the motor. 8)
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE jmarksdragster's Avatar
    Deep Sump. The deeper the better.
    Mark Whitener
    http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work can't be good.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

DEEP PANS

Hey JMARK YOU SAID?...."Deep Sump. The deeper the better."... Thats what "she" says"!! lol.. just jokin around

Keith

My concern with an oil pan is to make sure the proper oil pressure is maintained throughout the run. Some pans on certain applications do not allow proper windage and oil return for pump pick up resulting in low oil pressure around 1200 ft mark. Now that a scary moment.
    I have found the moroso and old hamburger pans work great for my seranio.