Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '66 Mustang coupe with chevy setup

'66 Mustang coupe with chevy setup

I have a '66 Mustang coupe and would like to know if it is possible to put a chevy 383 and turbo 400 or turbo 350 trans in the car going to a ford 9 inch rear, without doing any heavy modifications to the car. If anyone could help with this I would greatly appreciate it. I am new to the site and thought this would be a good way to see how it works. Thanks for the help!!

John

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    You could do it with a mid plate and front motor plates relatively easy... Different headers, and a different driveshaft too...

Hope this helps...
    Josh VanHorne

1964 Chevy Nova
    Worlds quickest and fastest tow truck. (9.92 @ 137)

http://static.racingjunk.com/63/ui/7...247837-479.jpg

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/211708

Junior Member JOURNEYMAN
    If a big block ford will fit, a small block chev will with ease

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER gearhead1011's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrloberto
    I have a '66 Mustang coupe and would like to know if it is possible to put a chevy 383 and turbo 400 or turbo 350 trans in the car going to a ford 9 inch rear, without doing any heavy modifications to the car.
    I know it's been done but it's been awhile since I've seen one. I would think you would have to use a chevy II oil pan because the '66 used a front sump pan and a rear sump won't clear the steering linkage. The tunnel is small on those cars so a 350 turbo would be a better fit. The headers would probably have to be made for the car so they will be expensive. I'm basing all of this on the car having the stock front clip. Your other option and this would qualify as "heavy modifications" would be to clip the front end and go to a mustang II/pinto suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by feenst
    If a big block ford will fit, a small block chev will with ease
    A BBF wouldn't fit in a '66 without modifying the spring towers.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE lively's Avatar

Re: '66 Mustang coupe with chevy setup

I have a '66 Mustang coupe and would like to know if it is possible to put a chevy 383 and turbo 400 or turbo 350 trans in the car going to a ford 9 inch rear, without doing any heavy modifications to the car. If anyone could help with this I would greatly appreciate it. I am new to the site and thought this would be a good way to see how it works. Thanks for the help!!

John
    WHY???????????????????????
    PUT IT IN A OLD SMALL[EARLY 60"S NOVA AND LET HER RIP!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would love to put it in a old nova or chevelle but the problem is finding one!! One of my budies has a mustang for sale thats why i was asking. THanks for the help

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE lively's Avatar
    IT IS NOT THAT HARD TO PUT OTHER BRANDS IN THERE-MAIN PROBLEM IS THE DISTRIBUTER LOCATION AND THE OIL PAN SUMP ops: ops:

IT MAKES A DIFFERENT CAR BUT I WOULD LOOK FOR SOMETHING MORE FRIENDLY UNLESS YOU LIKE TO FABRICATE 8) 8)

NOW THIS IS A FORD MAN TALKING BUT HAVE HAD SEVERAL CHEVIES IN MY YEARS :lol: :lol: :lol:
    LIVELY

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Now this is a chevy person talking, what's wrong with running a s/blk ford, the 347" Fords run pretty good and they are not that expensive to build and use a C4 trans. There's several around here that run low 10's, there's a couple that run in the 9's but i think they are bigger inche motors.

Zip.

Administrator RACING JUNKIE bjuice's Avatar

Re: '66 Mustang coupe with chevy setup

John
    "BUILT FORD TOUGH"...with " Chevy Stuff"

:shock: 8)
    Bjuice..

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    Well said bjuice 8)
    If a 5 lb hammer can't fix it,it must be electrical
    Keep the shiney side up! 8)
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/85221