LSM camshafts

Old 08-31-2008, 03:20 PM
demented
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default LSM camshafts

Has anyone ever had any dealings with LSM camshafts? I'm thinking of changing cams and they were highly recommended, but they do have a big price tag to go with them. I'm not to fimiliar with them except for what some guys have told me. Also does putting bigger lifters and bushing the block really make that much of a difference as far as longevity in the valvetrain.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:22 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default LSM

Here is their website. They seem to be good. There may some RJ readers that have used their products that can give more info.

http://www.lsmeng.com/index.html
Old 08-31-2008, 04:30 PM
tcarda
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: LSM camshafts

Originally Posted by demented
Has anyone ever had any dealings with LSM camshafts? I'm thinking of changing cams and they were highly recommended, but they do have a big price tag to go with them. I'm not to fimiliar with them except for what some guys have told me. Also does putting bigger lifters and bushing the block really make that much of a difference as far as longevity in the valvetrain.
I heard the same thing that they were good but expensive. I bought mine from Bob at Cam Motion.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:15 AM
demented
JUNIOR BUILDER

well second part of the question is: I have been also thinking of going to a .904 dia. lifter in my dart big m block. Is it worth the extra money to do this? I have to bore out the lifter bores and put in bushings. Seems like it would be a good idea, but not sure if its worth the effort. Also if I do this are keyed lifters worth putting in?
Old 09-06-2008, 09:31 AM
thedude
APPRENTICE

For years I worked as an engine builder for a top NHRA pro stock team, we used mainly LSM camshafts with oustanding success. I would not go to the added expense just for the name sake though, unless your budget allows. Their R&D and lobe designs are cutting edge, aggressive max effort applications that include NHRA pro stock, comp elimator and super stock eliminator. As far as keyway lifters they are also an exspensive investment, they do allow the valve train to be lightened dramaticlly over a conventional style tie bar lifter. It is really a question of application in an all out cubic inch limited class where every little thing adds up I would go to the keyway lifter. I have run the Jesel keyed lifters in max RPM style NHRA comp eliminator engines and high end cubic inch limited applications only where RPM and lightened valve train is a must. High horsepower-large displacement, nitrous and high end braket racing stuff I just go with the conventional tie bar rollers. They are just as strong and more cost effective.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:38 AM
demented
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by thedude
For years I worked as an engine builder for a top NHRA pro stock team, we used mainly LSM camshafts with oustanding success. I would not go to the added expense just for the name sake though, unless your budget allows. Their R&D and lobe designs are cutting edge, aggressive max effort applications that include NHRA pro stock, comp elimator and super stock eliminator. As far as keyway lifters they are also an exspensive investment, they do allow the valve train to be lightened dramaticlly over a conventional style tie bar lifter. It is really a question of application in an all out cubic inch limited class where every little thing adds up I would go to the keyway lifter. I have run the Jesel keyed lifters in max RPM style NHRA comp eliminator engines and high end cubic inch limited applications only where RPM and lightened valve train is a must. High horsepower-large displacement, nitrous and high end braket racing stuff I just go with the conventional tie bar rollers. They are just as strong and more cost effective.
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking as well. After asking all the questions and listening to everyones input, I am going to go with a cam from LSM and bush my block for the .904 lifters, and using the Isky red zone lifters.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:12 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks fred for asking some good questions just before i build my little motor too!! finally got my parts to SVRE today! i hope you're just freshening yours!
Old 09-07-2008, 03:32 AM
demented
JUNIOR BUILDER

Yes just freshening mine but with a twist. I have been told that I am not using the full potential of my cylinder heads that I have. My cam is too small. I never thought I would here that with the current cam I have, .810 IN lift. .788 EX lift and 298 IN dur @ .050 and 320 EX @ .050 with a 114 lobe sep.

And they are telling me I need bigger :shock: Around an inch of lift is what LSM is recommending. He hasn't said what I need for duration yet. But 116 on the lobe sep.

Your having steve do your motor huh. A buddy of mine up here had him port some heads. He does nice work. Keep me posted Scott.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:04 PM
tcarda
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by demented
Yes just freshening mine but with a twist. I have been told that I am not using the full potential of my cylinder heads that I have. My cam is too small. I never thought I would here that with the current cam I have, .810 IN lift. .788 EX lift and 298 IN dur @ .050 and 320 EX @ .050 with a 114 lobe sep.

And they are telling me I need bigger :shock: Around an inch of lift is what LSM is recommending. He hasn't said what I need for duration yet. But 116 on the lobe sep.

Your having steve do your motor huh. A buddy of mine up here had him port some heads. He does nice work. Keep me posted Scott.
What cubic inch and what heads are you currently running?
Old 09-07-2008, 04:38 PM
demented
JUNIOR BUILDER

622 ci (4.560 bore-4.750 stroke) and the heads are HRD racing head ported 14 degree big chiefs, rectangular ports.