Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: LSM camshafts

  1. #1
    Member JUNIOR BUILDER
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    lake luzerne n.y.
    Posts
    87

    LSM camshafts

    Has anyone ever had any dealings with LSM camshafts? I'm thinking of changing cams and they were highly recommended, but they do have a big price tag to go with them. I'm not to fimiliar with them except for what some guys have told me. Also does putting bigger lifters and bushing the block really make that much of a difference as far as longevity in the valvetrain.

  2. #2
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE fla1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,527

    LSM

    Here is their website. They seem to be good. There may some RJ readers that have used their products that can give more info.

    http://www.lsmeng.com/index.html

  3. #3
    Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Big Lake, Minnesota
    Posts
    162

    Re: LSM camshafts

    Quote Originally Posted by demented
    Has anyone ever had any dealings with LSM camshafts? I'm thinking of changing cams and they were highly recommended, but they do have a big price tag to go with them. I'm not to fimiliar with them except for what some guys have told me. Also does putting bigger lifters and bushing the block really make that much of a difference as far as longevity in the valvetrain.
    I heard the same thing that they were good but expensive. I bought mine from Bob at Cam Motion.

  4. #4
    Member JUNIOR BUILDER
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    lake luzerne n.y.
    Posts
    87
    well second part of the question is: I have been also thinking of going to a .904 dia. lifter in my dart big m block. Is it worth the extra money to do this? I have to bore out the lifter bores and put in bushings. Seems like it would be a good idea, but not sure if its worth the effort. Also if I do this are keyed lifters worth putting in?

  5. #5
    Junior Member APPRENTICE
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    24
    For years I worked as an engine builder for a top NHRA pro stock team, we used mainly LSM camshafts with oustanding success. I would not go to the added expense just for the name sake though, unless your budget allows. Their R&D and lobe designs are cutting edge, aggressive max effort applications that include NHRA pro stock, comp elimator and super stock eliminator. As far as keyway lifters they are also an exspensive investment, they do allow the valve train to be lightened dramaticlly over a conventional style tie bar lifter. It is really a question of application in an all out cubic inch limited class where every little thing adds up I would go to the keyway lifter. I have run the Jesel keyed lifters in max RPM style NHRA comp eliminator engines and high end cubic inch limited applications only where RPM and lightened valve train is a must. High horsepower-large displacement, nitrous and high end braket racing stuff I just go with the conventional tie bar rollers. They are just as strong and more cost effective.

  6. #6
    Member JUNIOR BUILDER
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    lake luzerne n.y.
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by thedude
    For years I worked as an engine builder for a top NHRA pro stock team, we used mainly LSM camshafts with oustanding success. I would not go to the added expense just for the name sake though, unless your budget allows. Their R&D and lobe designs are cutting edge, aggressive max effort applications that include NHRA pro stock, comp elimator and super stock eliminator. As far as keyway lifters they are also an exspensive investment, they do allow the valve train to be lightened dramaticlly over a conventional style tie bar lifter. It is really a question of application in an all out cubic inch limited class where every little thing adds up I would go to the keyway lifter. I have run the Jesel keyed lifters in max RPM style NHRA comp eliminator engines and high end cubic inch limited applications only where RPM and lightened valve train is a must. High horsepower-large displacement, nitrous and high end braket racing stuff I just go with the conventional tie bar rollers. They are just as strong and more cost effective.
    Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking as well. After asking all the questions and listening to everyones input, I am going to go with a cam from LSM and bush my block for the .904 lifters, and using the Isky red zone lifters.

  7. #7
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheRabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Augusta, Ga.
    Posts
    2,295
    Thanks fred for asking some good questions just before i build my little motor too!! finally got my parts to SVRE today! i hope you're just freshening yours!

  8. #8
    Member JUNIOR BUILDER
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    lake luzerne n.y.
    Posts
    87
    Yes just freshening mine but with a twist. I have been told that I am not using the full potential of my cylinder heads that I have. My cam is too small. I never thought I would here that with the current cam I have, .810 IN lift. .788 EX lift and 298 IN dur @ .050 and 320 EX @ .050 with a 114 lobe sep.

    And they are telling me I need bigger :shock: Around an inch of lift is what LSM is recommending. He hasn't said what I need for duration yet. But 116 on the lobe sep.

    Your having steve do your motor huh. A buddy of mine up here had him port some heads. He does nice work. Keep me posted Scott.

  9. #9
    Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Big Lake, Minnesota
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by demented
    Yes just freshening mine but with a twist. I have been told that I am not using the full potential of my cylinder heads that I have. My cam is too small. I never thought I would here that with the current cam I have, .810 IN lift. .788 EX lift and 298 IN dur @ .050 and 320 EX @ .050 with a 114 lobe sep.

    And they are telling me I need bigger :shock: Around an inch of lift is what LSM is recommending. He hasn't said what I need for duration yet. But 116 on the lobe sep.

    Your having steve do your motor huh. A buddy of mine up here had him port some heads. He does nice work. Keep me posted Scott.
    What cubic inch and what heads are you currently running?

  10. #10
    Member JUNIOR BUILDER
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    lake luzerne n.y.
    Posts
    87
    622 ci (4.560 bore-4.750 stroke) and the heads are HRD racing head ported 14 degree big chiefs, rectangular ports.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Email us - Support@RacingJunk.com
Call us - 866.326.9227
Copyright © 2005-2016 RacingJunk.com All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the RacingJunk.com
Terms of Use, Classifieds Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, and Cookie Policy