Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folding car trailers

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER

Folding car trailers

Does anyone have any experience with one of these trailers or knows if they hold up ok. With these crazy gas prices I might look at a lighter trailer for pulling my 1650lb Altered.
    Check out the Youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQm-JS1F0oE
    If a 5 lb hammer can't fix it,it must be electrical
    Keep the shiney side up! 8)
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/85221

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    That is a really cool trailer!!Rated at 3000 lbs but seems to have alot of flex when that coupe rolls up on it.Kinda sucks being a single axle,though.One tire blows out and you're plowing pavement :shock: Other than that I think it's purdy darn cool!!!Only thing,they oughta show the car actually driving up onto the trailer...what?..they did?...huh,musta overlooked that somehow :lol:
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

love the music too....that thing is neat looking.

In 1984 i built a 18ft trailer, using 3"X1.5" channel, i used 2"X.250 wall sq. tubing for the axles, i also used Rambler spindles, same as ford bolt circle making a 4" drop. I also welded in 1/8" diamond plate flooring accross the trailer. The traler weighs less than 1000 lbs. I have towed this trailer all over the US, from Bakersville to W.V., it has 14" wheels, but no brakes. I have had everthing from a 4200lb car to a 1200lb car on this trailer. When it's behind my Duelly crew cab i donot even know it's there, even if i have my 4,000lb vette on it. If anyone want's to copy it i'll post pics. It sets 10" off the ground at the rear and i can load a 3" clearance car no problems.The 1/8" diamond plate ties it together. Can you buy it NO, but i will send you pics. if you want to build one like it.

Zip.

Zipper, Please do, that'd be a good winter project for me. My trailer weighs as much as my truck. I think it was built to haul backhoes, caterpillars, and such.
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    **IN GOD WE TRUST**

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    Ya I think that folding trailer flexed quite abit to when they drove the coupe on. Bit it's a cool idea.

zipper06 can you post some pictures of your trailer? I'd like to see some
    If a 5 lb hammer can't fix it,it must be electrical
    Keep the shiney side up! 8)
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/85221

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE lively's Avatar
    PICS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O'k here are the pics. The main frame is 3"X1 1/2" channel, they run around the ouside and there are 2 runners 18" inboard front to back. The main pull (center) is 3"X2"X 3/16" wall rec. tubing there are 5 cross braces also 3" channel. the traile looks like crap because it hasn't been painted since 2000. It could also use some new wheels, they are also 24yrs. old. I originally had plywood in the center, but added the center diamond plate after a couple yrs. All the diamond plate is 1/8". The ramps are made from 1 1/2" angle and covered with expanded metal they slide in from the back.It measures 84" on the inside of the fender wells. The most critical point on this trailer is the location of the center pivot point on the tandum axles. It never moves around behind the tow vehicle, i've even towed my 3250lb Malibu behind my 1979 El Camino no problems.

Zip.

You shoot for 2/3 back for the center of the axles,right?