whats a good winch for enclosed trailer?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:45 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Default whats a good winch for enclosed trailer?

FINALLY scraped together enough money to a (used) enclosed car trailer. Tickled to death to put an end to gravels flying all over the front of my hotrod! But I'm not sure what size winch to get to pull the car in with. I figured a 2-2500 lb would be about right. I want to save money,but don't want to but a cheap winch that has a line pull of like 3 feet per minute,either.What have ya'll used? My car weighs 3200 lbs. Thanks alot.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:17 AM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

I have a warn, 4000 lb in my trailer i use it to unload and load.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:34 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

4000!Whew!I'm sure it don't work hard!I wonder if a larger capacity winch will draw on a battery a whole lot harder?Yours 12 volt?I even considered buying a 120 volt winch and running it off the generator.Actually I thought about making one out of an old starter motor,like alot of old wreck trucks have,but figured that it would end up being more of a novelty,than a conveinence.Trying to save a buck!!
Old 08-30-2008, 10:47 AM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

I have a Warn 4700 on my tilt trailer. I hook it straight to my Optima red top that we keep charged for that application only. Makes loading and unloading a roller or dead one very easy! Have loaded and unloaded four cars in two days, red top stillworking, although starting to feel the drain. The only thing I don't like is the remote cable isn't long enough. I had to extend it from 12' to 20', other that that, excellent! Purchased at Northern Tool around $500 w/fairlead roller. BTW, glad to hear you got an enclosed, you are going to love having it!!
Old 08-30-2008, 11:20 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks big Rudy,I'm tickled to death.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:32 PM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

when I bought a winch I spent a lot of time , looking around and asking, I bought this http://www.jegs.com/i/Superwinch/846/1440200/10002/-1

It has been a excellent winch, I have a deep cycle rv battery mounted next to it and charge it a few times each yr, works excellent, I would buy another if I ever get a differnt tag
Old 08-30-2008, 04:02 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Cool!Thanks Spib.I would imagine our cars(truck?...don't know what you like to call it)HOTRODS! probably weigh about the same.Seems I'm gonna have to come off some more $$$ and buy a bigger winch than what I thought.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:21 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Hey guys,while I'm picking ya'll's brain,is there a right or wrong way to load a car?I know that sounds completely stupid,but all the guys I run with have either FEDs or roadsters,and are so small they practically will go in by themselves.What I was wondering is,when you get the car lined up will they generally go on in straight or do you have to monkey with the steering wheel.My windows are plexiglass and dont roll down,and I don't have enough room to open the door.Trailer has an escape door in exactly the right spot,but the car is about 6 inches to low to allow the door to open(I knew I shoulda went with a tall straight axle :x ).So I was curious how hard it is to line it up or whatever.Like I said,I bet this ? makes me look pretty ignorant,but any advice,tips or tricks would be very much appreciated.Thanks!
Old 08-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

you could just drive it in and let your girl drive the truck and you ride to the track in the car.....congrats on the trailer that is my next big purchase.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:54 PM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

what I do is drive it up on the door to back of trailerstraight in, but to the right some, were I still can open door. I put it in park, hook winch up to front eye I welded on frame, put tension on cable, tell its taunt, go open door and put in neutral, make sure tires are straight, then in she goes, when rear clears back door I hook up two tie back straps to rear, then winch on in tell she stops, get out rachet straps crossed in front tighten them up, then put a lil slack in winch cable, but leave it hooked up and ready to roll, on all 4 corners of my blazer I have a bracket with a hole in it welded to frame, so I dont have to crawl under rig, simple, straight in straight out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -