Timing Chain

Old 08-22-2008, 06:59 AM
mudder81
JOURNEYMAN

Default Timing Chain

Any suggestions on a timing chain for a 434 sbc with a solid roller cam? Its got .7?? lift if it matters. Had a gear drive in it, but it would get in a bind and it wrecked my starter! I think its worn out. The gear drive came with a front cover that my fuel pump bolts to and its a cheap one at that (cheap gear drive that is). Can I run a chain with a cam driven fuel pump? Or just buy a decent gear drive?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:18 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

This is the one I always run, may need a shorter roller button depending on the cover.

http://www.competitionproducts.com/p...p?number=73141
Old 08-22-2008, 08:56 AM
ARUSSELL
MASTER BUILDER

With a soild roller cam I would go with a CV prod or a Jesel belt drive, $$ up front but no hassles later. The CV one has the endpay already figured in where the jesel you need shims.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:32 AM
cncmotorsports
MASTER BUILDER

Try this one , this is the one we use

http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/produ...D=14417&CtgID=
Old 08-22-2008, 07:43 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I've got a Comp belt drive on my 434" with .734 lift with 1.6 rockers, about $360.00,i have not run it yet so i don't know how it will last. But i got a good used jessel too back it up just in case. But to answer your question, every other engine i'm associated with i run (hex-a-just) and 4 of these are 434" motors with the same cam (.689 with 1.5 rockers) I run the hex-a-just because thay are easier to degree in and you can buy replacement parts, IE chains. The are steel billet gears, but with that much lift all chains tent too strech after about 100 passes with 260 to 300lbs seat pressure. I also only run (hex-a-just) on the B/BLKS i put together. cost about $120.00. I only know it works for me, so.

Funny story with Hex-A-Just, i had a bushing crack, so i got on the phone with their tech, whinning. He tells me i must have got a bushing with a bad heat treat,O'K :shock: all he ask for was me to send him a pic of the broken bushing, which i took a digital photo and sent it to him email,he then ask me how many set's of their units do i have running, i told him 7 right now (engines i'm maintaining), next day he sent me 3 new bushings no charge and paid overnite postal. They are $33.00 at NAPA, replacement and $20.00 plus at Jegs.

JMO

Zip.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I like the other Cloyes adjustable set that don't have the hex bushing...iy has the bolts with slotted holes like a jessel belt has.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:55 AM
mudder81
JOURNEYMAN

Thanks guys.