Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Life with a radical pro-street car

  1. #1

    Life with a radical pro-street car

    Opinions from you guys that have and actually DRIVE a "race" engined pro street car. You know the cars I mean. 13:1 compression, big roller cam and even bigger carbs stuffed into a car with a minimal interior and a hard shifting trans and spool.
    Do you guys ever wish that maybe you had not gone so wild or is it worth the headaches to you?
    My last project was a mild 440 mopar in a mini tubbed Dart and while it was very drivable I always wanting more power. At what point do you most of you find that the car has lost it's fun quotient and has become nothing but a pain in your azz?
    Mild or wild.....trying to decide what I want to build..........................

  2. #2
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Independence, Missouri
    Posts
    1,188
    When I was younger, I had a pretty radical small block in a 66 malibu, I hated it on the street. thats just me though. I know a lot of guys that love bada$$ motors on the street, as for me, I'd rather trailer my race car to the track, and run a little less motor on the street.JMO
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    **IN GOD WE TRUST**

  3. #3
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,143
    I am too scared of lifter failure.

  4. #4
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE curtisreed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    KIEFER, OK.
    Posts
    1,309
    Why not a large cubic inch big block that is built resonably mild so it is not to tempermental but can still make big power?

    Curtis

  5. #5
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,143
    Quote Originally Posted by doorracer
    Why not a large cubic inch big block that is built resonably mild so it is not to tempermental but can still make big power?

    Curtis
    That's the best idea yet...but my problem is I would have trouble keeping the "reasonably mild" part in my head while ordering pistons and camshafts.

  6. #6
    Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nineveh, Indiana
    Posts
    108

    Street cars,

    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebomb
    When I was younger, I had a pretty radical small block in a 66 malibu, I hated it on the street. thats just me though. I know a lot of guys that love bada$$ motors on the street, as for me, I'd rather trailer my race car to the track, and run a little less motor on the street.JMO
    Hey bomb,

    We come from the same era. Did the same thing with a 67 Mustang. High compressioned, roller camed, tunnel rammed 289 w/Holley 600's. Work on it for a week to get it to run for day. Even back then, circa 1974-75, couldn't afford to feed it! That's why it ended up at the track. To be honest, one look at it, nobody wanted to race me, LOL!!!

    No more street cars for me. The wife wants one but just a good "driver. If I only were flush with cash, I know where a 69 Camaro is right now! Then after she tired of it, make a perfect start for an NHRA stock eliminater project.
    Robert Swartz
    Swartz & Lane 1966 Chevy II
    Swartz & Lane 1979 Firebird H/CM
    You don't learn much when everything goes right.

  7. #7
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Independence, Missouri
    Posts
    1,188
    Yes, I guess I'm gettin old and would just as soon have my creature comforts on the street. My race car aint comfortable or quiet, like the old Joe Walsh album said, "Made loud, To be played loud". So as Zipper06 said "Thats my story, and I'm sticking to it".
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    **IN GOD WE TRUST**

  8. #8
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,143

    Re: Street cars,

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldewalnut
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebomb
    When I was younger, I had a pretty radical small block in a 66 malibu, I hated it on the street. thats just me though. I know a lot of guys that love bada$$ motors on the street, as for me, I'd rather trailer my race car to the track, and run a little less motor on the street.JMO
    Hey bomb,

    We come from the same era. Did the same thing with a 67 Mustang. High compressioned, roller camed, tunnel rammed 289 w/Holley 600's. Work on it for a week to get it to run for day. Even back then, circa 1974-75, couldn't afford to feed it! That's why it ended up at the track. To be honest, one look at it, nobody wanted to race me, LOL!!!
    .
    That's how I ended up with my Nova...I had/ still have a 1972 chevelle (my first car, built it myself with a friend, I have had it since I was 18, I'm 34 now)that I built a mild 406 for...hyd cam 11:1 10 inch converter 4.10 gear
    I started to build a big block for it and ended up with a 14:1 .030 over 454 with a .714 roller cam.... :P After M U C H GRIPING/PREACHING from my father about ruining a very nice car, I bought the nova already tubbed and caged for the big block.
    The car has been sitting at my parents house all this time and since it got flooded I am gona tear it apart this winter and re do everything...take all the race car crap *( 90/10 shocks, soft front springs and cheater slicks...and put the heater and sway bar back on) and make it a good driver...might ditch the 406 and build a mild pump gas 454 if money allows...it is a mid 12 second car like it is but it is HEAVY.

  9. #9
    Member JUNIOR BUILDER
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    70

    Bluebaugh Racing

    I guess it depends on what you want. Today, I race with my boyfriend in the car pictured. We live hand to mouth for racing and everything is about racing. For me personally, I wish I had never taken my street car off the street years ago. (not pictured) I got into the slippery slope of bigger, better, faster, and more. My personal car sits it the back yard in yet another stage of needs more and needs more money. At least years ago, I could start it up and go. With this car we need a full crew of helpers to go anywhere and a sack of cash we don't have. But its our choice

    Deborah-WFO

    www.worldsfastestorganization.com
    www.loperspeed.com

    Deborah
    Bluebaugh Racing
    World's Fastest Organization
    prostreet@cox.net

  10. #10
    Junior Member APPRENTICE
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    18
    My thoughts....if it's too loud, noisy and radical....you're too old....LOL. I run a 12.5 small block, 600+ lift and a 4500 stall w/4.56 gears in my street car and I wouldn't have it any other way. 3.5" exhaust makes little old ladies roll their windows up.

    BTW, I'm in my 40's.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Email us - Support@RacingJunk.com
Call us - 866.326.9227
Copyright © 2005-2016 RacingJunk.com All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the RacingJunk.com
Terms of Use, Classifieds Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, and Cookie Policy