Crankshaft Endplay

Old 08-09-2008, 06:46 PM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default Crankshaft Endplay

I have intalled my new motor and transmission. Is it true i should be able to pull on the balancer and measure my endplay?. Im wanting to know because my last motor wiped a crank out on the thrust area of the crank. Almost like something was pushing the crank toward the front of the car..The converter and trans have been check by trans speacialties..no problems found. I grabbed the balancer and gave it a pull.. i couldnt move it in and out at all. My trans and conv are all bolted up. I know the converter is not pressing into the back of the crank.. thats the only way i can see One thing to keep in mind my orig motor was poorly assembled.. my thoughts are this is why the crank self destructed.force being applied that would push the crank to the front of the car.
One thing to keep in mind my orig motor was poorly assembled.. my thoughts are this is why the crank self destructed.

Any thoughts, ideas.suggestions are appreciated
Thanks
Keith
Old 08-10-2008, 07:56 AM
rob41willys
SENIOR BUILDER

Make sure the the transmission yoke on the drive line has enough play otherwise that could take out the crank.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by rob41willys
Make sure the the transmission yoke on the drive line has enough play otherwise that could take out the crank.
Been There. ops:

Stupid mistake
Old 08-17-2008, 03:48 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

How does that work?Never heard that before and it kinda seems like it couldn't "push thru" the tranny.Seen guys wipe 'em out with clutches.Sittin; there at a light holding the pedal down day in and day out,take one out,too.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by olds48
How does that work?Never heard that before and it kinda seems like it couldn't "push thru" the tranny.Seen guys wipe 'em out with clutches.Sittin; there at a light holding the pedal down day in and day out,take one out,too.
Olds what happened to me was this...I had just finished the car and the drive shaft I had just barely fit. I just set the car down with it in and moved it out of the garage ...then got the correct one later. Wasn't long the trans started to slip and when I went to remove trans found the thrust shot on crank. It was a TH 400 and when I set the car down the driveshaft pushed fwd and busted the center support in the caseand was pushing everything inside the trans fwd into the flexplate..wearing out the thrust.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:54 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Wow!I woulda thought that the shoulder of the yoke would bottom on the case before the internals would hit the output shaft. :shock: Bet that sucked!!
Old 08-18-2008, 05:24 PM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default Tod

I have put everything togther last week.. paid super attension to the drive shaft, the converter, all looks ok i havent run the car yet.. most likely this Sunday i will.. thanks for all the input.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by olds48
Wow!I woulda thought that the shoulder of the yoke would bottom on the case before the internals would hit the output shaft. :shock: Bet that sucked!!
Yeah...not much fun trying to find a short shaft 400 case in the junk yard. :?

I base the comment about the center support on what the trans guy told me...I was 19 years old and had never had a th400 apart.(still have not)