Thread: No oil on right head

Junior Member JOURNEYMAN

No oil on right head

I fired my 434 sbc for the first time and I am not getting oil to the rockers on the right side. Left side got oil though. The oil pressure gauge said I was getting good pressure, but just not to that side. I am playing around with my alcohol inj. so I didn't have it running for more than 10 seconds (I am chasing fuel leaks). What do you all think? Run it longer and hope it comes up or am I missing something?

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    I'd run it with a drill if, it's wet sump ,until I had oil.

Junior Member JOURNEYMAN
    Thanks, thats something I didn't think of!

Member JUNIOR BUILDER
    If you pull the dist. out and run a drill you will never get oil to the top of the block. the dist. housing completes the oil passage on the right side. Oil does take a while to get to that side for some reason. I always pre-oil everything in the valvetrain for just this reason. It may take a minute to get oil to that side of the block so just be patient but DO put oil on the rockers and valve springs for that time.

Quote Originally Posted by demented
    If you pull the dist. out and run a drill you will never get oil to the top of the block. the dist. housing completes the oil passage on the right side. Oil does take a while to get to that side for some reason. I always pre-oil everything in the valvetrain for just this reason. It may take a minute to get oil to that side of the block so just be patient but DO put oil on the rockers and valve springs for that time.
    You can if you make your own primer out of a distributor like mine is. machine the top off and turn the shaft down in a lathe.. make or buy a bearing to press on the shaft so it don't fall out or flop around.. works like a charm.

Junior Member SHOW GUEST
    I USED AN OLD POINTS TYPE DIST. AND WELDED A PIECE OF METAL ON TOP AND USE A DRILL. WORKS PERFECT.
    RUNNING TOUGH ON CHEAP STUFF.

RPC, sells them for under $20.00, and Speedway sells them also. I have one in stock, PT# S9534 but can sell you a hundred of them.

Zip.