Thread: FIRST FULL TIME DRAG CAR - GOING TO SHIP TO AUSTRALIA

FIRST FULL TIME DRAG CAR - GOING TO SHIP TO AUSTRALIA

Guys,

Hello from Downunder (couldn't help myself)

I have been racing street cars for the last few years and have decided to step up to a full time drag car

So

I am keen to buy a car from the US and ship it to OZ

I have about $25K US to spend on the car and am looking for recommendations as to what make and model, engine & tranny combo you would recommend

I have the cash and need to ship it out from LA

Please let me know what you think is a good buy !!

Cheers

Chris

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    So if 25,000 is the the overall budjet, is that after any vat, taxes, customs/duties & shipping?

$25K is purely for the car

All other costs will be paid seperately by myself

Have arranged shipping, taxes are paid in australia - have total budget of about $32K to do it all

Wow, what to recommend. That's hard to answer. First off are you partial to a brand? full bodied or open cockpit? how fast are you wanting to go? Newer body style or more of a nostalgia car.

For me I just put together an altered and I really like driving an open bodied car. I bought a crate engine from ATK's high performance division.

Chevy engines are about the cheapest to build and most bracket racers probably run powerglide transmissions.

I would like someting that still looks like a car from the outside

Prefer Full Chassis - Chev Engined and would also be happy with a glide

At the moment I really like the idea of either

Chevy Nova
    Chevy II
    S-10 Ute

Need a big tyre car as I am also going to use it for promo stuff for a few minor sponsors

What sort of $$ is freight across the US or can you post a link to a US transport company to get the car to LA

One more question.. do you prefer a complete car or rolling? I know the next car i buy I will prefer a roller myself & do eng/trans myself. Watch out for cars that are desirable (i.e., 67 Nova/Chevelle) that claim to have a huge price tag because it is a "SS" or has rare options... a drag car is a drag car. A vin of "138" (SS) on this site automatically makes people think it is gold!! A big tire car/tubbed, cagged, totally modified drive-train, & for race puposes only should not be mixed w/ the classic value market & price tag (JMO). Example: Saw a 67 Mustang Shelby fastback here, it was nowhere near a true shelby anymore... looked like a blown, prostreet, show & go car. Nothing terribly stock, highly modified, tubbed/narrowed & even the shelby hood was cut for a blower! Guy wants 103,000.00!! (this is an extreme example) but if i wanted a shelby GT FB, I am not going to pay over a hunderd g's for a cut up modified shelby... no what I mean? So don't play that game... bringing a drag car back to a classic is not easy... so dont buy that nonsence from a seller that the car is an "easy" conversion going back & that is why they want so much. I think your Nova or ChevyII idea is good- they are light & cool. 1st generation Camaro's seem to launch well (I have one), 64/65 Chevelle i think would make an awesome drag car too. I am not a racing expert, but I do know about some old chevys... there are a lot of racers here who can guide you well I'm sure.

Find ya a big block 67-69 camaro that has been back halved. Always popular , they look good and would be easy to sell later.

JMO