69 mercury cyclone GT (value)

Old 07-13-2008, 04:33 PM
jussmedley
SHOW GUEST

Default 69 mercury cyclone GT (value)

i have 1969 mercury cyclone GT 390 automatic all original. has been sitting for years still runs paint is faded, interior is all there but rough (repairable)
it has fred jones signature on rear hatch. has blue and white dan gurney paint, hood scoop, and spoiler. i'm not really a ford guy and not finding a lot of information on this car. i do know the car is rare. if any has any idea what this car is worth or information i would appreciate it.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:37 PM
sg1586
MASTER BUILDER

Was it a drag car???
Old 07-13-2008, 04:51 PM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Have you got any pics?
Old 07-13-2008, 05:14 PM
jussmedley
SHOW GUEST

how do you post pics?
Old 07-13-2008, 05:21 PM
jussmedley
SHOW GUEST

no it was not a drag car
Old 07-13-2008, 05:24 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Cyclone

There were two styles of the limited cyclones. One blue and one red. It is a very collectible car.

Here is some info I found:
Description:
The Mercury Cyclone was the sister car to Ford's Torino. In 1969, Ford and Mercury released special "long-nose" versions of these cars to compete on the high banks of NASCAR (thus starting the famous Aero-Wars of the late '60s). The long-nose Torino was called the Talladega, while the Cyclone actually had two long-nose models: the Dan Gurney Special and the Cale Yarborough Special. The blue Gurney cars were intended for the east coast and the red Yarborough cars for the west but a great marketing strategy had Ford sending the cars to opposite coasts. Although originally claimed production numbers topped 500, only 353 cars actually exist because of an alleged slight of hand on behalf of Ford and Mercury.

In 1969, NASCAR required that a minimum of 500 cars be constructed to be eligible to race. It is said that due to the time required to build these special beauties, Ford was forced to mix a number of standard cyclones painted the same as these rare cyclone’s into a large parking area when NASCAR completed a visual count of the cars to verify that the minimum of 500 had actually been completed!
Old 07-13-2008, 05:42 PM
jussmedley
SHOW GUEST

this is painted the blue and white but it does not say dan gurney anywhere on the car. it has fred jones signature on the rear of the car.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:58 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

that's pretty cool. My Grandfather was the (Daniels) Lincoln Mercury sponsor for Bill Stroppe in 1963 until ?? with a Mercury Marauder. This was when Augusta, Ga had a NASCAR track. Boy were they stupid when they didn't want to build a new facility! But my dad drag raced a 69 Cyclone just like yours for a long time. wished a million times he didn't sell it. Sorry to hijack your thread, but the car brings back some good memories of my grandfather and my dads racing years!
Old 07-13-2008, 09:34 PM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by jussmedley
how do you post pics?
There is a thread in the Help section on posting pictures.

http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2876
Old 07-14-2008, 03:56 AM
jussmedley
SHOW GUEST

Default pics

pic