Thread: too much thrust

too much thrust

Hey guy's, pulled out a mates 383 to fix a rear oil pan leak, took the pan off and sore more than i bargained for, the rear main bearing thrust is just about gone and has worn a groove in rear side of the thrust flange. Can anyone shed some ideas as to where to trace the cause, i was thinking back around flexplate/convertor clearance?

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

Re: too much thrust

Quote Originally Posted by qiksix
    Hey guy's, pulled out a mates 383 to fix a rear oil pan leak, took the pan off and sore more than i bargained for, the rear main bearing thrust is just about gone and has worn a groove in rear side of the thrust flange. Can anyone shed some ideas as to where to trace the cause, i was thinking back around flexplate/convertor clearance?

Do you know what it was when the motor was fresh???? I have seen a bad converter take a thrust out fairly quick!!!

from memory when we had it on the dyno the guy said the converter was slipping a little, so maybe. endfloat was at .003 now i have about 3mm.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    What kind of trans? My first car I had I put a driveshaft in it that was too long ops: it had a th 400 and it busted the center support in the case and pushed everything fwd into the back of the crank. I only had that driveshaft in there long enough to drive it out of the garage a time or two til I got the right one..trans started to slip a little and when I went to remove it I found the sloppy thrust in the crank.

Also if the converter has balooned it will push fwd on it.

cheap converter + lots of power braking can do that...so I'm told.

trans is a glide, ex show car changed engine and converter and went racing 11.03 @ 121 on the 1/4. converter's at the shop now getting checked, didn't looked like it has balooned.