fuel pump regulator

Old 06-21-2008, 12:05 AM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Default fuel pump regulator

Tonight at the track i did my burn out and the fuel pressure gauge went from 6 psi to 11psi and loaded the carb up........after my run i tried it in the pits and when you reved it up the fuel pressure went up not down or stayed the same is this a bad regulator doing this maybe a hole in the diaphram..........not sure any ideas............thanks
Old 06-22-2008, 09:58 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Nobody has any ideas, i have never had a bad regualtor before so not sure if this could be the cause as the pump is on a relay so it shouldn't be a problem you would think......the pump puts out 11psi and they bypass opens up and the fuel pressure reg is set for 6.5 psi so why should it go to 11psi unless something is wrong with it....dirty sticky or whatever........like to hear your opinions.........thanks
Old 06-23-2008, 03:35 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

im no expert but if its going up it seems to me to be a bad regulator. if its set for 6.5 and it hits 11. it seems it cant hold pressure down pump is pushing fuel straight on thru it.if i were a betting man id bet a new reg. would stop the problems. good luck my friend
Old 06-23-2008, 09:12 AM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by outlaw256
im no expert but if its going up it seems to me to be a bad regulator. if its set for 6.5 and it hits 11. it seems it cant hold pressure down pump is pushing fuel straight on thru it.if i were a betting man id bet a new reg. would stop the problems. good luck my friend
I was thinking that but also was thinking maybe that the bypass in the pump is sticking creating to much pressure.........i am going to pull the carb and check the needle and seat for any debri or dirt install my spare reg try it and if it still does it i am going to pull the pump apart and check it out
Old 06-23-2008, 12:34 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

I pulled the carb off and apart to find a piece of plastic stuck in the needle and seat of the back bowl,it must have went through the regulator and caused the bounce and made its way to the needle and seat..........i took the reg apart and blew it all out and the lines put the carb back on and it works great now
Old 06-26-2008, 03:52 PM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

man im glad you found your troubleand it was a easy fix. but where did the plastic come from?
Old 06-27-2008, 04:10 AM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

I have also seen a bad ground on a Holley Blue pump cause the same situation.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:07 AM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by outlaw256
man im glad you found your troubleand it was a easy fix. but where did the plastic come from?
Only thing i can think of is i just chaged the fuel filter and it must have been inbedded in it or part of it came apart