Opinions??

Old 06-18-2008, 08:03 PM
gsforless
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Opinions??

I guess this is more of a warning to all than anything else,but anyone and everyone is invited and encouraged to chime in with opinions.

Where to begin?

I traded cars with an RJ member,speedy121,around 6 weeks ago,give or take.He brought his car approximately 160 miles to me,to trade.Originally we were to meet halfway,but a situation came up,and I was unable to travel.I told him that I guessed we weren't going to be able to make the deal,and he offered to make the entire trip.

He shows up on a weekend,nothing open to transfer a title.He assures me that he knows a notary,and if I'll just sign the back,he'll get the rest done and the car outta my name first of the week.I've done this in the past with no problems.

We make the trade(his rolling drag Malibu for my driving street Malibu).I noticed a few things that weren't as he had described them on the drag car while he was at my house,but I decided to let it go,unmentioned.He had drove a long way,and it's not like he had the parts that were either missing or had been changed with him and could produce them if I questioned it.Besides,although the car was definately not as described,I still wanted it

The parts in question:There was a verbal agreement over the phone(we had several phone conversations during the course of this deal),that all electronics,with the exception of a 6AL box,would be left with the car(he said the 6AL was borrowed).All electronics were described to me and the car was supposed to have an MSD timing controller on it,but it wasn't there.

Also during the phone conversation,the rear tires were described to me as MT slicks,29x11.5.In the middle of this trade,he decides to change the wheels on the car he's trading me.I told him I was fine with that as long as the tires were the same ones.The rear wheels he took off were Rod Lites and he replaced them with Drag Lites,but when he showed up with the car,the rear tires were MT 28x9.0,and one of them had a cut.If you wanna check ad# 1228797,you'll see that the car listed there has the Rod Lites on it,and it also has the 29x11.5 tires.There's no proof,but it certainly looks like he left the tires I was supposed to get on the wheels he took off the car I got.At any rate,I did not get the tires I was suppose to.

Lastly,this one was a little more than a verbal agreement and bothers me the most.He told me the car had QA1 adjustable shocks all the way around,but when he shows up,the car has some crappy,no name,non-adjustable junk on the rear.He sent me a pic of the rear shocks before we traded showing the QA1s on it!The car he got was EXACTLY as I had represented it to him.I even gave him a 7.5 posi and 4.10 gear when he was leaving that wasn't part of the deal!

As I said earlier,I let every bit of this go unmentioned and made the trade with him.I'm sure you're wondering"why bring it up after the fact?"

I never questioned the missing and changed parts until Tuesday of this week.My curiosity got the best of me,and I called the DMV to be sure that the title to the car I traded him had been transferred.It had not,so I sent him a message saying that I had been more than fair,giving him plenty of time to get this done.I told him that I was going to go to the DMV this coming Friday and if the title still wasn't taken care of,I was gonna junk it.I'm responsible for the car until he does what he promised to do the day after he got it,6 or so weeks ago.

Seeing as how I had to confront him with this issue,I felt it was an opportune time to let him know that he hadn't pulled one over on me by changing the parts on his trade,and I explained that I just let it go,but I did notice.

He replies by saying that he didn't agree to leave the timing controller on the car and that the tires are,in fact,the ones that were supposed to be on the car.As I said,these were verbal agreements only,so I told him to forget them.

The shocks,on the other hand,when I confronted him with them,he says that the car never had QA1s on it,and that he must have sent me a pic of his father in laws Nova by mistake!I have the pic,and it CLEARLY shows QA1 shocks,clearly shows G body suspension,including the adjustable arms that were on the car when I got it,the rearend is unmistakable,even the hole cut in the trunk floor for the fuel cell sump is evident in the pic,and he says it is a pic of a different car!

When I told him I was gonna bring this issue here,to the forum,he says he'll send me a pair of Afco shocks,if it'll "make things right"!

I told him to send me the shocks that were coming to me,and forget the other items.I haven't heard a word from him since,so I took the matter here

The man screwed me from the get go,part of it I let happen,but he out and out lied about having the car transferred when he was supposed to.

I have all messages between him and I,as well as the pic he sent me of the shocks,and I invite him here to dispute what I have said.

Guys,I'm sorry I dragged this out so much,I just wanted to try and not leave any loose ends on my part.

Glen
Old 06-18-2008, 08:06 PM
gsforless
JUNIOR BUILDER

Update!!!

As you'd guess,this took me a while to type,so I figured I'd check my messages one last time before I posted this,to be sure "speedy121"hadn't replied anymore...

Guess what??

The jerk has deleted his profile!!
Old 06-18-2008, 10:47 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I feel for you Glen but like you said in your own post you opted to go ahead and make the trade knowing the car was missing things that were suppose to be part of the deal.
You either must of really thought that you were getting the better deal on this trade or your one helluva nice guy who just doenst speak up for himself and let's people run over you.
Believe me in this business of trading cars there are people who will take advantage of someone if they feel like they can, you got to be firm and stand your ground if it were me I would of sent his azz packing with no trade, deal or not.
I would call him if he answers and try to arrange a time ya'll can meet up in person to discuss the matter further. It does sound like he wants to make good on the shocks at least.
If he doesn't then just chalk it up to experience and move on.

Remember the definetion of a good deal is when both parties think the other guy got screwed.

Goodluck , Charles
Old 06-19-2008, 05:06 AM
gsforless
JUNIOR BUILDER

Yeah,I did let it happen,and was cool with the deal,until he failed to tie up the loose ends on the title.

That was the only reason I pointed out the shocks and other stuff to him.Until that point I think he thought that I was none the wiser!

I'm still ok with the deal,it's just the principle and the way the guy operates that don't sit well with me,ya know?

As far as I'm concerned,he isn't offering to make good on anything,which,again,if he can live with it,I can live without it.

All he has offered is to replace the missing shocks with yet another pair that still aren't the ones he traded me.He admits guilt right there.And then he removes his profile!

Again,this is more than anything,a warning to honest guys that use this great site.

I greatly appreciate the input.

Thanks guys,
Glen
Old 06-20-2008, 04:45 AM
gsforless
JUNIOR BUILDER

I see that speedy121 has turned his profile back on.I'm gonna see if he will discuss the matter here.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Glen- you are good guy. A part of the few who still keep thier word. I sure hate to see someone like you get taken advantage of- especially when it comes time for me to make another deal.. I hope I can get an hoest guy like you. Nevertheless, this other guy knows good & well what he has done- he is dishonest & has probably done this before. His word is trash- he tries "pleed ignorance" or say he "forgot" ...or lie. This is his metality, it's what he does. Luckily, you sleep good at night... knowing you are honest. He on the other hand, he looks in the mirror & sees a liar & somone who can't back his word. If he looks in the mirror & LIES to himself, then he is HOPELESS. Thats my .02... my personal opinion. Regardless, don't beat yourself up for trusting the good side of people... there are still a few of us around.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:46 AM
gsforless
JUNIOR BUILDER

Thanks,Rigsby.I knew there would be someone out there that saw this as I do.I appreciate the input.

This guy is turning his profile on and off like a light switch!I sent him an invitation to discuss this here,in front of you guys,but he didn't reply!!

At this point,all I can say is Friday has came and gone,still with no transfer of the title.As I told him,I keep my word,and he is in for a surprise,when and if he decides to transfer the car!

He wouldn't go to the DMV...so I did!!

Glen
Old 06-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Glad to hear that you have something you can do at the DMV. My guess is he will dodge you for awhile & be flakey... main thing is don't let him get you down. Don't let him steal your peace... this dude is not worth it. Keep your cool & God will bless you in other ways leaving you in a better position than you had before.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:07 AM
gsforless
JUNIOR BUILDER

Understood,and thanks!Me having to "take care" of the title wasn't about the dealings he practices when he makes a trade,and I don't feel dragged down to his level in the least.It was all about not letting the guy continue to drive around in a car that is licensed and registered to me,or even letting someone else have it that way.

Glen
Old 06-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Yea, i agree... he should not have that luxury on top of what he has done! You are right- he needs to do the right thing & be responsible anyways. Glad you are not down about this whole thing... I have let bad deals get me down before, but in the end, it does no good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -