Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retro-fit Powerstroke????

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Retro-fit Powerstroke????

I have just recieved a FREE 1993 F350 2wd with a 7.3L Powerstroke and automatic tranny.Tranny "fell out" and guy just wanted it out of the yard.I have been wanting either a 7.3L PS or an old 12 valve Cummins.I have a 1972 C20 that I am swapping over to 4WD and want to put that motor in it.Does anyone know of any adapters to fit this motor to other types of bellhousings.What I have now,and would like to use,is a SM465with a NP205 on it.Anyone know anything about the automatic tranny behind these Powerstrokes?Worth rebuilding??I can divorce mount my 205.I haven't even seen the truck,got set up with this deal thru my Dad,he bought a backhoe from the guy.It might be eat up with electronics,for all I know.Any info on retrofitting these engines into non-computer situations would be great.Thanks alot!!
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    I don't think Ford had the Powerstroke until 95-96. They had a 6.9 and a 7.3 diesel alright, and some were turbocharged, but they didn't run anything like a PS. They were just a mechanically injected International diesel....might want to check it out before you drag it home.

free is free. Even if you don't use it you can part it out.

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    I'm not sure what tranny is behind that 7.3(there are 4 different auto trannies for that truck) but I would just use the ford trans. The older fords used a C6 behind the diesels and it worked ok.

That should be a good swap...I have an old '73 K20 that I have thought about mounting a 4 door cab on and shortening the box to fit with the 4 or 6 cylinder Cummins diesel. The 6.9 or 7.3 ford would be just as good(less mpg though).
    www.Brucesrepair.com
    Bortnem Racing Engines

It is a 1994.Don't know if a turbo or not.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

Olds, my father in law, has had both engines in different trucks, I'm not real sure a guy can kill em, they both have Lord only knows how many miles, and just keep on chuggin.
    suicidebomb
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    **IN GOD WE TRUST**

Yeah Earl,no doubt they're tough.I like the 7.3s,don't care for the new 6.0s.Mt Dad and exgirlfriend have one,not impressed.I just wander what it would take to make it electronic-free,if possible.Guess we'll find out

Just got home with the truck a little while ago.It is a '94.Guy said it was a 7.3.I can't tell by looking at it.The fender says "Turbo Diesel"but doesn't say "Powerstroke".Anybody know the difference,or is there any?Thanks

Member JUNIOR BUILDER
    Dieselstop.com is all about these engines in all year models. If you can't find the info there, it just doesn't exist. I do think the very early 6.9 engines were NOT turbocharged and had all mechanical controls, so your "turbo" designation may mean you have a 7.3. Check it out. 8) JB

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Like I said before, the Powerstroke didn't come out until 95-96. So unless it's an oddball, it's not a powerstoke. The mechanical injection International 6.9 & 7.3's had the fuel filter on the rh side up high, spin-on and glowplugs that are where spark plugs would be.
    The 7.3 Powerstoke is all electronic, has the fuel filter in a cannister in the valley, and the glowplugs and electronic injectors are under the valvecovers.
    If you can get me the 8th digit of the VIN, I can identify it for you.
    Later,
    Johnny