Powerglide Question

Old 05-20-2008, 10:30 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Powerglide Question

Got a question about the tranny in my car, after I do a burnout and put in reverse it gets a winding sound as I back up, stick it in netural once I get going fast enough. It doesnt do it any other time I put it in reverse just when backing up from a burnout ?

thanks
Old 05-20-2008, 06:42 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

What gears? Straight cuts could be noisy, and I vaguely remember factory glides being a little noisy in reverse. What about the rear gears? How the *%$#@ do you hear that in your dragster???? :shock:
Old 05-21-2008, 12:21 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by jmarksdragster
What gears? Straight cuts could be noisy, and I vaguely remember factory glides being a little noisy in reverse. What about the rear gears? How the *%$#@ do you hear that in your dragster???? :shock:

It has 1.80's, its in the tranny for sure was thinking maybe the pump ?

Its pretty loud
Old 05-21-2008, 12:50 PM
sg1586
MASTER BUILDER

Why would you think it's the pump if it only does it in reverse???
Old 05-21-2008, 12:58 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by sg1586
Why would you think it's the pump if it only does it in reverse???
I replaced the pump last year and it sounded the same only in reverse so I was assuming it may be same issue ?

Might be time for a aftermarket pump
Old 05-21-2008, 01:17 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Pump should operate/sound the same wether tranny is in forward or reverse.Could it be in the rearend and just transmitting up?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:29 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by olds48
Pump should operate/sound the same wether tranny is in forward or reverse.Could it be in the rearend and just transmitting up?
All is new back there ?
I guess you guys would need to hear the sound its making, my thoughts would be if its in the rear end wouldnt it keep doing it no matter if I stuck tranny back up into neutral as its backing up ?
Old 07-29-2008, 01:34 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

thought I would update ya guys on this

Rearend has been taking out and all new bearings installed and gone through again noise still there this weekend transmission is all gone through so this weekend we will be able to tell if thats it also. So far most seem to think its just noise from the 1.80 straight cuts.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:28 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hammertime
thought I would update ya guys on this

Rearend has been taking out and all new bearings installed and gone through again noise still there this weekend transmission is all gone through so this weekend we will be able to tell if thats it also. So far most seem to think its just noise from the 1.80 straight cuts.
Beautiful car you have. Why are you trying to sell it? Its Very rare to see a car being raced thats as clean as yours. What differences have you noticed with your front suspension? Does the car feel or work different than it did before.
I just sold a my dragster and the new owners were asking me if I new what the whinning sound was when the were backing up after a burnout. I didn't know, but it has a set of BTE straight cut 1.80 plants. May be thats what theyre hearing.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:41 PM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

The front suspension made a big difference in my car. Mine is a hardtail with the same Diamond Race Cars front suspension as David's.

I ran mine as a full solid car and it was fine, but it would bounce around on the big end sometimes and the suspension stopped that. It also made my lights more even and a huge difference going down the track. With front and rear suspension its like drivin a Caddy...lol...

Just my .02

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -