Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: block filling,any luck with it?

block filling,any luck with it?

i have a 388 small block chevy i know i'm pushing the hp rateing of a factory block of 690 hp at 7500rpm after 65 passes 1 cylinder cracked this is .060 over 350 block.after the resleeve im thinking of moroso block filler fill it to the bottom of freese plugs will this help from cracking agin?

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Just to the bottom of the freeze plugs will help a little, but if it's not a circle track or street deal, I'd fill it to the bottom of the water pump holes. You should do it before the sleeve install or at least before the final bore....

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Like johnracer X2

Zip.

Does block fill cause any heating problems??Even if it's drag only?
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

Member JOURNEYMAN
    can you put block filler into a motor that is already together? Just wondering for some extra insurance.
    72 chevelle, tubbed. 350/TH350. Best 8.29@83mph w/100hpNOS 7.72@90mph
    67 Chevelle SS clone 396/TH400
    00 Silverado 1500 ext. cab long bed. daily driver/tow rig
    88 Camaro 305TBI
    81 Malibu Wagon 327/TH350

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Quote Originally Posted by prostreet1972
    can you put block filler into a motor that is already together? Just wondering for some extra insurance.
    Not recommended. When the fill sets, it may change the bore size a little. Most machinists will final hone a little looser to compensate for the different expansion rate.....

It helps just as described above. Just remember it won't cool as well or cool down as fast. Kinda like medicine there is side effects.
    good luck

i run a 388 sbc also with the block filled to the bottom of the water pump inlet i run a meziere eletric pump and no t stat, i cant get my motor to run above 160 i use my motor alot on the street and its 15.5:1 compression. if i do let the temp run up 180-90 not using the fan, it does take longer to get the temp down back around 160. most of the time i usualy dont use the fan she just runs 160 cruising around. hope this helps your decision.

zerotolerance where do yo u drive this car? In alaska? Antarctica? Theres no way you can drive a block filled 15to1 motor around and never worry about over heating unless it was in a boat getting 20 degree water for cooling. lol... Im curious.

Maybe on alcohol.