2 Steps.....what are you using? Rookie

Old 05-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Stappy
JOURNEYMAN

Default 2 Steps.....what are you using? Rookie

I am in the market for a 2 step. I am running a C4 reverse valve body, transbrake, PTC 5400 8"stall, behind a stroked 408 Ford (500HP), 3:73 full spool(low 11sec car). I am new to the transbrake/2 step world so be gentle. I am looking for specific makes and models and also any other helpful hints you might have.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 05:54 PM
topcat572
MASTER BUILDER

Default 2 step

MSD,if You are thinking about a 2 step, I would get the 3 step for a few bucks more, never know when You might need it. :?
Old 05-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Stappy
JOURNEYMAN

OK at the risk of looking stupid. I need the dumbed down version of what I need to wire this thing.
Here's what I THINK I know.
My tranny has a transbrake that flashes at 5400rpm. If I were to stage and mash the gas with the trans brake only, I would be sitting at 5400 RPM at launch. I know this is very bad for the converter.

If I wire the 2 step you mentioned above, how do I wire that to the transbrake switch? Meaning I have a switch on the top on my Husrt shifter for the tranbrake, does the two step wire in parallel with it? So when I hit the switch it winds the engine up to the pill thats in the 2 step, say 4200rpm.

I guess what I don't understand is if my ultimate torque is around 5400rpm and I wire a 4200 RPM limiter inline, doesn't this limit my launch?

Now if I am not intending on using a set RPM to do my burnout, what the purpose of the 2nd channel on the 2 step?

I have never run elctronics and don't really understand the theory behind how these things work together.

Help a rookie, hopefully former footbraker, out.
Thanks!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:36 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

A 2 step is nothing but a switch to allow you to use 2 different rpm limits. It plugs into your msd box where the rev limit chip normally plugs and has 2 places to plug chips into. There is a ground wire and a 12v wire that you hook to your transbrake switch from the 2 step. when power is applied to the 12v wire it switches to the lower limit chip. when power is off it switches to the high limit chip. The low limit chip is your launch rpm and the high limit is to prevent over-revving the engine. A 3 step works the same way but it gives you an extra limit chip that you use for the burnout.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:52 AM
Stappy
JOURNEYMAN

Chuck,

Thanks so much for clearing that up.
Only question I have now is, do I wire the 2 step into the same switch that I am feeding the transbrake with? Meaning as I hold the switch in it activates the transbrake solenoid and the two step at the same time?
Can I do this off of the same 12v supply I am powering the transbrake with? Right now I have a fused (15amp) 12v supply going to the transbrake when the switch is depressed. If I just tap into the same 12v coming off the switch in parallel to the 2 step is that alright?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2008, 08:24 AM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Yes, that's how you wire it in. The current draw on the 2 step is very low, less than an amp so you should be good there.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:20 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Stappy

Are you running a delay box or just leaving off of the brake?

Curtis
Old 05-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Stappy
JOURNEYMAN

I haven't done anything yet Curtis....I got a brake in it. I was foot braking. I want to know the logical next step. I was not planning on a delay box.
Although my ears are open to learn about them as well.

Chuck...thank you again!
Old 05-13-2008, 05:12 PM
sg1586
MASTER BUILDER

If I were you I would not get a 2 step....There rough on the rotating assembly.....Go with a air operating starting line controller..
Old 05-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Stappy
JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by sg1586
If I were you I would not get a 2 step....There rough on the rotating assembly.....Go with a air operating starting line controller..
such as? Give me a few models to look up and maybe some info on how they hook up.

Thanks!