Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: combo help

Junior Member SHOW GUEST

combo help

Ive got a '70 2boolt 400sbc, bored .030 over with 6.0Scat forged i-beams, Ross 95765 pistons, and a Scat cast crank. total cid is 406. i just got a weiand x-cellerator intake and a lunati solid lifter bracket master II cam. specs are 256/270 @.050 and 500/515 @.050. ive got full length headers and 1.5 roller rockers. now i just need to get some heads that will allow me to spin this puppy to 6300-6500rpm. keep in mind that im on a little bit of a budget. any help would be very appreciated. Thanks!!

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Iron World Sportsman II's should fit your budget and combo nicely. Get em with 2.05/1.6 valves....

Junior Member SHOW GUEST
    thanks bud, ive looked at those and they seem like a good deal for what you get. also, ive heard that 400's dont like to rev past 6000 and ive even read that you should never rev them past 6000. for some reason i just dont believe that. maybe its true but i just dont think it makes any sense. i would like to get as much rpm out of it as i can to get the most out of the cam. anyone else have any suggestings?

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Brodix track ones. They are reasonable.
    Work nice and are easy to port if needed.

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    Maybe also take a look at the Dart 215 heads!
    If a 5 lb hammer can't fix it,it must be electrical
    Keep the shiney side up! 8)
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/85221

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Quote Originally Posted by wills55
    thanks bud, ive looked at those and they seem like a good deal for what you get. also, ive heard that 400's dont like to rev past 6000 and ive even read that you should never rev them past 6000. for some reason i just dont believe that. maybe its true but i just dont think it makes any sense. i would like to get as much rpm out of it as i can to get the most out of the cam. anyone else have any suggestings?
    I had a combo similar to yours a few years back. 13:1 406, an old Elgin cast crank, stock 5.7 rods, solid cam that had a little more lift but less duration than yours, World iron Sportsman II heads out of the box, Victor Jr and a 926 Carb Shop Holley. Pulled great to about 6500 and ran 11.20's @ 118 in my 3075lb 63 Nova up here in Colorado. with 4.56 gear and 28x9 slicks....actually ran 10.64 @ 122 when a buddy of mine took it to Phoenix

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    You definetly need to upgrade your intake too, that whimpy little excellerator is way to small for any serious power on a goodbreathing 406.
    A victor jr would be more suited to your needs, or a newer team G.
    The above mentioned sportsman II heads are really good pieces out of the box and are very affordable verses pricey aluminum heads and they would be complimented by the intakes I reccomended. Now as far a 400 not liking to rev past 6000????? It all depends on your bottom end being built right and the cam, intake and heads.
    I've seen many SBC'S bigger than 406's wound up in the 7000 to 8000rpm range.
    Goodluck, Charles
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    the engine in my sig (420ci sbc) can get up to 8000rpm... circle track cam runs out over 8k. Its not in the car yet so Im not sure how the cam feels but Im probably going to be shifting a little over 7k. nothing wrong with a big ci sbc for rpms, just be sure its built for the cam you choose
    1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
    418ci SBC v8, manual 5-speed.
    dual stage nitrous injected

Junior Member SHOW GUEST
    Quote Originally Posted by cepx111
    You definetly need to upgrade your intake too, that whimpy little excellerator is way to small for any serious power on a goodbreathing 406.
    Why do you say that the intake is "whimpy"? Weiand says it will build power from 2000-6800rpm. which is just about where my cam is supposed to die off (so says Lunati). just curious because i really tried to pick parts that matched the rpm range i wanted the engine to really shine in.

Junior Member SHOW GUEST
    TTT